Friday, August 11, 2006

Foghlaim Dé hAoine

I've decided to implement a new Friday feature, where I'll provide a handy or intersting Irish phrase. Collect 'em, trade 'em, race 'em. Be the first kid on your block to have the whole set.

Today's handy phrase is one that you might use on a fairly regular basis on the camogie or hurling pitch. (Hover over the text to see my best guess at phonetic pronunciation and what the phrase means.)

Tá mé ag cur fola.

If you needed to ask someone, you'd say:
An bhfuil tú ag cur fola.

As you might remember, I love flashcards. Today, I found a site that will let you print out flashcards. I think that's sort of cheating since writing out the flashcards is a big part of the learning. What I do like about the site is that each lesson has the option to play the memory game. Talk about a way to get your neurons firing - not only do you have to remember where the words are, you have to remember what they mean.

If you want to see a good example, you can you can play this simple game.

File under:

4 Comments:

At 12 August 2006 at 01:48, Blogger Steven said...

Pretty good Ann. Please be warned I speak with the Munster dialect so feel free to take on board or disregard any of my advice on that basis.

I would only change Tau to Thaw for the first one.

For the second one I would have Ahn vill too egg curr fahla

Regarding your Rinceoir versus Damhsoir (kezboard no do fhadas tonight) question there are a few reasons.

1. Damhsoir is closer to the English than I would like
2. Ag rince (rink-e)is the first phrase that comes to my mind regarding dancing in Irish
3. I prefer rinceoir as a url.

It was more to do with my method of choosing identifiers for myself than any major preference over different versions of the Irish phrase.

 
At 12 August 2006 at 08:16, Blogger -Ann said...

Steve - I live with a couple of Munster speakers, so I know what you mean. Thaw for Tau though - when á is a broad vowel - siné ? :) I thought that T was TH only after I or E.

My teacher's pretty good at warning me about dialectical differences, but that's a new one on me. Same with the W vs V for bhfuil.

Ag rince is also what I think of for dancing. Those are good reasons. I'd wondered if there was any sort of subtle difference between the words. I also thought maybe it was just a practicality - no fadas to confound un-cooperative keyboards.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sticking with Ulster although it's important to know the differences. (How much am I going to stick out in the Gaeltacht - speaking Ulster Irish with an American accent? :))

 
At 12 August 2006 at 22:22, Blogger Fence said...

Connacht Irish here, and I'd say fula instead of fahla. But I'd say will not vill. So half a dozen of one, six of the other. Stick to your teacher's though, otherwise you'll go insane :)

 
At 19 August 2006 at 07:48, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence- You know, I think maybe I have something wrong with my ears, but when I say fulla and fahlu out loud, especially quickly, they sound nearly identical.

This is great though - I get all the dialects covered. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home