Friday, July 07, 2006

Cursed

Or at least that's how I feel. So, Peter missed his connection in London last night because his plane was delayed leaving Iceland. Fair enough. These things happen.

He was meant to be on the 6.50 flight from Heathrow to Dublin. I was driving into the airport, luckily just passing my place of employment, when I got a text. He wasn't on the plane. He was going to be on the 7.45 flight. He rang me and said something about a stupidity fee, but I couldn't figure out what that was all about. I told him I'd go into work to put in a little time and then drive up to collect him. I already had the car and it was going to cost an arm and a leg to park it all day.

Fine. It wasn't until I was in work that I realised I'd gotten a text before the 7.45 text. He wasn't on the plane because his alarm didn't go off and he slept too long. He's lucky I didn't know that when we spoke. I was not amused.

My lack of amusement got even worse on my drive to the airport. I was just at the Donnycarney Church when I heard about the bomb alert at the airport. The third one in three days. Fantastic.

I arrived at the airport roundabout just as the gardai were shutting off access to the airport car parks. I had a lovely morning driving around the outskirts of the airport, hanging out in Swords, waiting. When the airport roads were open again, I managed to stash the car in a long-term car park and I'm now in the arrivals hall, waiting for Peter who is waiting at baggage claim. In the time the airport was closed, something like 40 flights landed so the processing logistics are a bit nightmarish.

All I can say is I don't know where I would be without text messages and pay-with-coins internet kiosks. I've bought 2 euromillions tickets for tonight's draw. I gotta figure that we are due a bit of good luck already.

9 Comments:

At 7 July 2006 at 11:55, Blogger Fence said...

If they find the wanker who phoned in the latest threat I'd almost be in favour of the death penalty. not that I was affected, but it is getting to be a habit at the airport lately.

 
At 7 July 2006 at 18:02, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence - I agree with you completely. Although my understanding on this one is that it was an unattended bag that the sniffer dogs then alerted on, so that makes me feel better about the hassle of it. The airport workers also did a fantastic job getting everyone where they needed to be. So, it wasn't a fantastic experience but it was so much better than it could have been.

Shane - Thanks. if I win, you get your very own Irish cottage.

 
At 8 July 2006 at 00:55, Blogger Arbusto said...

Do you share with random internet people, too?

 
At 8 July 2006 at 13:03, Blogger Sweary said...

I want a pony

 
At 8 July 2006 at 14:37, Blogger Fence said...

Yup Ann, you are right. I heard first of all that it was an anonymous warning, but later on that it was actually a bag. Didn't hear that the sniffer dogs were what alerted them to it though.

And given the day that it was there was no way that security should have taken a risk.

 
At 9 July 2006 at 21:31, Blogger Career Guy said...

Let's have two ponies, as long as you're in the pony store anyway.

 
At 10 July 2006 at 17:57, Blogger -Ann said...

Shane - Yes, in fact, Ireland does have an extradition treaty with the US. I don't think Spain is much into extradition treaties, so you're welcome to change your order to a Spanish villa.

Arbusto - Possibly. But only the ones who love cats.

Swearing Lady - A girl after my own heart. Of course.

Dad - Ponies for everyone! Or icelandic horses, at least.

 
At 10 July 2006 at 17:58, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence - Sorry, I missed you there. I can't fault the security people at the airport at all. They did the right thing, it was just frustrating to have it happen so soon and at the exact time I needed to be at the airport. Because, you know, it's all about me.

 
At 29 May 2013 at 10:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awesome to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all friends on the topic of this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.

My web site - website

 

Post a Comment

<< Home