Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jumping Off the Music Meme Cliff

Well, Fence jumped off this particular cliff first and it looks like a whole lot of fun, even though I wasn't able to get a single one of hers right. (OK, I got number 16 right, but Alan beat me to the answer.)

The rules are simple - random up the I-Pod (or I-Tunes or whatever non-Apple heretical MP3 player you might have) and give the first lines for the first 25 songs that come up. The rules were no easy songs and no repeated singer/group. I have a bad case of Lyric Dysfunction Disorder, so I double-checked several of the songs. And it should go without saying - No Google-Fu! (Although, if one of these becomes an earworm that you can't place, I'd rather have you cheat than go mad.)

1. Fhuaras am pige ruadh
Shane - Thanks for playing. Good guess, but wrong. I will tell you that you're on the right-ish track and the name of the band starts with a C.

2. I sincerely miss those heavy metal bands we used to go see at the landing in the summer
Credit to Dave of RFN (I was hoping you'd play because I knew you'd get this one) - Wilco - "Heavy Metal Drummer"

3. Hey, don't write yourself off yet
Credit to Arbusto - Jimmy Eat World - "In the Middle"

4. Well I didn't see much future when I left the Christian Brothers' school
Credit to Nine Moons, who is apparently a girl after my own heart - Saw Doctors - "N-17"

5. I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
Credit to Fence - "The Boxer" - Simon and Garfunkel

6. Oh great ocean oh great sea
Credit again to Dave - U2 - "One Tree Hill"

7. How does it feel to treat me like you do?
I am guessing that Arbusto meant 7 instead of 4 when he said "Orgy - Blue Monday". He's half right at least - it is "Blue Monday", but I've never heard of Orgy. It's New Order. Accept no substitutes!
Update: Arbusto, for the love of god, please do not say things like that. You're making me feel ancient. That band you never heard of wrote the song. Probably when you were in the womb.


8. I, I'm thinking it's a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images
Extra Credit to Shane for covering all the bases - "Such Great Heights" - Postal Service is the version I have.

9. Go, go, go, go now, out of the nest it's time

10. Stormin' through the party like my name was El nino
Credit to a giggling Shane - Sum41 - "Fat Lip"

11. Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick
Credit again to Shane - The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
Do you remember when we saw them at the Colessium? Realising that was like 17 years ago is making me feel really damn old.


12. Never made it as a wise man
Full marks to Arbusto, partial to Fence - Nickleback - "How You Remind Me"

13. I want your silent parts

14. Take, take all you need and I'll compensate your greed with broken hearts

15. Every day I love you less and less
Credit to Dave - "Every Day I Love You Less and Less" - Kaiser Chiefs. I see now this one might break the "too easy" rule but my defense is that I didn't really know the name of the song. I just have the old school I-Pod Shuffle, after all.


16. The confusion that arises says it all

17. My book has more bookmarks than pages

18. There must be something that we can eat

19. Your body may be gone I'm going to carry you in, in my head, in my heart, in my soul

20. I think I love you but to say so would bore you

21. Many's the day I took for granted

22. I pictured a rainbow, you held it in your hands
Credit to Fence, who had a good guess - Waterboys - "Whole of the Moon"

23. I would swallow my pride but I would choke on the rinds
Credit to Arbusto - Eve6 - "Inside Out"

24. She came from Greece, she had a thirst for knowledge
Again, credit to Fence - "Common People" - now here's where I let the side down - I think it is Pulp originally but this was the fantastically cheesy William Shatner version

25. My friend assures me it's all or nothing
This one is still up for grabs and I can assure you it is most definitely not O-Town.

10 Comments:

At 11 July 2006 at 23:22, Blogger Fence said...

5) The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
12) How you remind me of whatever the rest of the title is. But I can't remember the band.

Is 22 the Whole of the Moon? By... the Water Boys? I don't know the fist line for sure, but it sounds familar.

And I know 24. It is right there, tip of my tongue... Ordinary people? Pulp?

 
At 11 July 2006 at 23:22, Blogger Fence said...

Damnations! Not ordinary. It's Common People. Don't you hate it when that realisation dawns just after you've hit submit?

 
At 12 July 2006 at 01:41, Blogger Arbusto said...

3. Jimmy Eats WOrld - In the Middle
4. Orgy - Blue Monday
12. Nickelback - This is how you remind me
23. Eve6 - Inside Out
25. I want to accuse you of O-Town All or nothing but that's not right.

 
At 12 July 2006 at 08:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4. N-17 - The Saw Doctors
Love this song!

Don't know any of the others, though I swear I would have gotten the ones that other people already got. Really.

 
At 12 July 2006 at 10:48, Blogger Fence said...

Ah NM, well spotted. I knew 4 was tickling my memory but couldn't place it.

 
At 12 July 2006 at 16:00, Blogger Arbusto said...

Ann! I did write Blue Monday. Orgy was a band that did that song about 8 years ago or so. I don't know the other band you say.

 
At 12 July 2006 at 16:07, Blogger Arbusto said...

Was I wrong about number 3?

 
At 12 July 2006 at 18:22, Blogger -Ann said...

Sorry, Arbusto - I hadn't had my full allotment of coffee when I updated last time. You were right about 3 - I just missed it. And you did say "Blue Monday" - I was just confused because I've never heard of the band Orgy and somehow I wrote that you called the song "Monday". I've made the relevant corrections.

 
At 12 July 2006 at 20:17, Blogger Arbusto said...

I wasn't in the womb but I was only a year and some old when it was released. I looked up Orgy on Wikipedia, it is a cover.

This doesn't make you feel less ancient so I'll stop now.

 
At 13 July 2006 at 15:50, Blogger -Ann said...

Shane - I've never heard that Ben Folds song - sounds fitting though. Did you find my OU id? I remember those jerks in our seats at The Cure.

Good call on the Sum41 song. As a result of my Lyric Dysfunction Disorder, I'd always thought the line was "Stormed into the party like my name was Ali" so my mental image was a guy busting into a house and beating people up.

Arbusto - No, no, I feel MUCh better to know that you were alive when the song was first released. I didn't know about the song until about 1987, so I don't feel quite so ancient.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home