Thursday, July 06, 2006

Everyone's Favourite Game

It's time to play everyone's favourite game. No, not hurling. It's time for Good-News-Bad-News!

So - the good news is that my parents received my refurbished laptop. The bad news is that it doesn't have my hard drive in it. It's a completely fresh, empty hard drive. Even though I got assurances from the Laptop Manager Man (LMM) that I would have my hard drive back.

When I rang LMM, he sighed heavily and said, "Well, they screwed up." He's allegedly investigating if there is a way to undo this screw-up. I think, for my own mental health, I am going to have to give that hard drive up for dead. If I get it back, it will be a bonus.

The frustrating thing is that I don't know exactly what I've lost with it. I have copies of my two completed novels, but the copy I have of the novel-in-progress is old and I've probably lost at least 20 or 30 pages, plus my notes.

The take-home lesson here, children, is back up your data. Every. Night. No matter what.

EDIT: Let's play Good-News-Bad-News again. The good news is that I get another good night's sleep. The bad news is that Peter's flight from Iceland to London was delayed, which caused him to miss his connection. Here's more good news - I heard his voice, but the bad news is that it was only over the phone. I'll be collecting him from the airport tomorrow morning.

3 Comments:

At 8 July 2006 at 00:56, Blogger Arbusto said...

What's the best way to back things up?

 
At 9 July 2006 at 21:35, Blogger Career Guy said...

Trust no one. I burn CD's of files I want to keep, but I guess even CD-ROMS deteriorate over time. Print everything and put it in a fireproof box in a concrete vault in a bank? Twice.

 
At 10 July 2006 at 18:00, Blogger -Ann said...

Arbusto - we have an external hard drive, which Peter periodically burns to CD to double-back up. (Since his entire lifelihood is in electronic images, you can see why the need for the double-back-up.) Ideally, you should have some sort of automatic job to backup your important stuff every night.

Dad - Yeah, I think you're on the right track there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home