Tuesday, December 23, 2008

They Don't Call It 'The People's Republic' for Nothing

One of County Cork's most endearing nicknames is The People's Republic. In many ways, Cork is sort of like Texas - big, bold, and completely disinterest in blending in with the rest of the country.

I love the independent streak of the county, but the fact remains, it is still part of Ireland. A fact that seems to have escaped the planners of Dublin Airport. I wish someone could tell me why I need to present a passport and go through the Garda Passport Check when I've only flown from Cork to Dublin.

It makes me wonder what would happen if I decided to present my driver's license as my valid id. It's on the list of approved identification. But would it be enough to get me out of the People's Republic and into the Irish capital?

Maybe that's a test for next time. For now, I'm arrived safe and sound im Dublin and am killing time at the Internet kiosk, waiting for Peter to collect me. Perhaps I'll redesign the airport in my spare time.

6 Comments:

At 23 December 2008 at 15:11, Blogger Babaloo said...

That just made me laugh. You're so right! And sometimes, when you come to Cork, from Dublin, there is nobody at all at the check point. I think it's just random. And maybe they feel now, before Christmas, they have to show more Garda presence or something. Who knows.

Looking forward to your re-design of Dublin airport, there sure are a lot of opportunities for improvement. ;)

 
At 23 December 2008 at 20:12, Blogger Kim said...

County Cork is like Texas?! Damn, I thought I'd like Ireland.

I'm sure you'd do a bang up job on the redesign. I've never been in an airport you couldn't improve, and I don't even know if you can draw!

 
At 23 December 2008 at 21:53, Blogger Roisin Dubh said...

Cork should be our capital city it's much more Irish than Dublin. Any county that produces Graham Norton, Cillian Murphy and Johnaton Rys Meyers can't be bad.

 
At 24 December 2008 at 00:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did use my work ID card at Dublin Airport once-
worked like a treat.
Although why they want to see any ID if I just flew up from Cork and was on my way to Galway is beyond me

 
At 24 December 2008 at 12:56, Blogger laurie said...

fascinating! how weird is this?

next time, take the train. we trained from dublin to cork and nobody patted us down or asked for kickbacks.

 
At 24 December 2008 at 16:37, Blogger -Ann said...

Babaloo - Cork airport is ridiculous. I think you could stroll through customs with a bale of cocaine under your arm and no one would notice.

Kaycie - I cannot draw, but I'm quite good at organising.

Cleo - Ah, but if Cork were the capital, then would it mean that we'd have to have a million people there. If so, then Dublin can keep it. :)

Mac - Is it just me, or does that seem like a big possible security hole?

Laurie - I usually do take the train, but the new kennels is 15 minutes from the airport. I've taken the train from Millstreet, since I'm not sure I could park the car at the train in Cork City. (But new kennels is an hour from Millstreet.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home