Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday Three

It's been a bit manic around here, since I've been putting in extra hours at work to ensure that I'm able to take the next two weeks off. So even though I've loads of blogging ideas swirling in my head, I've not much time to get them out.

Today, I'm stealing two ideas from two of my favourite bloggers. I'm taking the idea of the Thursday Three from the Rotten Correspondent and the theme is coming from Barbara, who subscribes to a theory I very much believe in. If you keep your eyes open, you will see things that can change your mood and improve your day.

I hate this time of year with a burning passion that only intensifies as I age. I hate the frantic pace of trying to finishing everything up for the holidays while all around me, the natural world is crawling to a halt. The dim drizzly days make me want to curl up in a ball and sleep until spring, but there's just too damn much to do. Recently, I saw three things that put a smile on my face and brightened my whole day. In all cases, I observed pure, unadulterated joy and you'd have to be even meaner than a grinch if you can see that sort of joy and walk away unaffected.

Three Observations of Joy

#1. The Visit with Santa. Irish store Santas are apparently way more generous than American store Santas. I was floored when Peter told me that the whole point of a visit to Santa here is that Santa gives you a festively wrapped present. It usually contains a cheap plastic toy, but you don't care about that when you're five years old. And all we got was a lousy Polaroid picture!

On Tuesday, I had a Christmas lunch in Ballincollig. Since I arrived early, I wandered through the shopping mall to kill some time. I saw a little girl, she must have been about 3 or 4, walking next to her mother. The girl had clearly just been to visit Santa, since she had a wrapped present. She was glowing with the joy of it. Her beaming smile made me notice her. It was the half-dazed smile of a girl who's just had something amazing and wonderful happen.

Then I saw the present in her hands. It was a thin rectangular box, maybe a board game. She held it with both hands and looked at it often, as though she couldn't quite believe she had it. I'm not a mind reader, but even I could see the thought bubble above the girl's head: "Best Day Ever!"

#2. The Car Wash. As part of the same trip to Ballincollig, I stopped on the way home to get diesel for the car. The prices were a whole cent cheaper than the petrol station by us, so I was already pleased. As I filled up the tank, I noticed the car in the car wash. I've always been disappointed here that Irish car washes are all out in the open.

Going to the car wash, through the dark tunnel, and then getting 'eaten by the car wash monster' as the big slappy roller washed the car was always one of my favourite activities. Even as a grown-up, I couldn't help but giggle and squeal.

So it was a great joy for me to watch another little girl, maybe 2 or 3 years old, giggle and squeal as the car wash monster ate her car. She started off huddled close to her mother, perhaps a little frightened, but was soon clapping her chubby hands in delight. It nearly made me want to get the car washed.

#3. The Running Irish Wolfhound. Callie running could be a comedy sketch. At the start, she's awkward and gangly, all long legs not quite acting in concert. Then she gets up to speed and finds her rhythm. Her long legs fall into the steady pace of a gallop. Her body lengthens and contracts as she covers ground at a rate that seemed unattainable when she got started.

What elevates her running from a comedy sketch to a day brightener is the absolute joy on her face. Her ears are flat back from the wind and her tongue is hanging out the side of her mouth, but you can't miss the grin on her face and the delight in her brown eyes.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 18 December 2008 at 08:05, Blogger Babaloo said...

Awww, to all 3 of your joyous moments! Ad 2: But only nearly, eh? ;-)

And I'd love to see Callie running! Honey is a runner, too, but nowhere near as gorgeous to look at I guess.
What beach is Callie at in the photo?

 
At 18 December 2008 at 10:46, Blogger Irene said...

Those were three wonderful moments and you describe them so well. It was as if I saw them happening in front of me with my very own eyes. You are a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing them.

 
At 18 December 2008 at 15:47, Blogger Kim said...

All lovely. Delighted little girls will make me smile every time. We totally need to see video of Callie running.

I hate this time of year, too. I wait until December 12th to do anything remotely related to Christmas. It helps, believe it or not.

 
At 18 December 2008 at 16:49, Blogger -Ann said...

Babaloo - You know, I'm not exactly sure. Peter has it down as Owenahincha, but I'm not positive. (I always thought Owenahincha was bigger.) It's near Rosscarbery. If you're driving on the N71 into Rosscarbry, you take the left that's signposted for Owenahincha (it's just before a petrol station), then follow the road around to a car park in front of a caravan park. You can't see the beach from the car park because of the dunes, but the beach is less than 100 metres or so from the car park.

TFTW - Thanks. I'm so glad you enjoyed the descriptions.

Kaycie - Funny enough, Peter recently upgraded his digital camera to one that also does HD video, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you can see Callie running.

 
At 18 December 2008 at 20:46, Blogger Noelle said...

I wish I had grown up in Ireland. I was so afraid of the car wash when I was a kid. My mom used to threaten to take me there if I was bad.

 
At 18 December 2008 at 23:11, Blogger ped crossing said...

Kids and dogs have an amazing ability to lighten ones mood. Several years ago I decided not to let the holidays bother me. I choose how much I want to do and otherwise I just enjoy being with the family. I abhor crowds so I do most of my shopping online before Thanksgiving so there is no stress. I send my cards out in January as a year in review kind of thing.

Loved the descriptions, made me think of our recent trip to see Santa. We went on doggie day, so we stood in line surrounded by dogs waiting to see Santa. It was pretty funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home