Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Kid Pauses to Think

The quest for a name for RND continues. We've gotten loads of great suggestions - names that look great but then a funny thing happens between the brain and the mouth. The word just feels funny. Milly, Molly, Maddie....all lovely names, but it feels funny and sounds wrong. (Which is exactly what happened with Sarah, even before the whole unfortunate Palin business started.)

As luck would have it, yesterday was the weekly phone call with my family and it's The Kid's weekend with Middle Brother. The Kid has given such great advice in the past, that I thought he would be ideally qualified to help out with our latest dilemma.

Me: Hey, The Kid, I was hoping you could help me out with something really important.

The Kid: Sure I can!

Me: OK, well, do you know about my new dog?

The Kid: Yes. I saw a picture on the Internet.

Me: We need a name for the new dog. Can you help us think of one?

I waited for more than a minute. The Kid was thinking really hard, but it was unusual for it to take so much time for him to come up with an answer. Is it possible I finally found a way to stump The Kid?

The Kid: I got it! You could name her The Kid!

Me: But that's your name.

The Kid: So? It would still work for the dog. It's a VERY good name. In fact, I think it's a great name.

Me: I agree, it's definitely a great name, but wouldn't you feel weird knowing that a dog had your name.

The Kid: No.

I wish I was there, I can picture how he'd shrug his shoulders and open his eyes wide when he said that.

Me: OK, well, I'll put that on the list to tell Uncle Peter.

The Kid: Oh, I've got the perfect name for a girl...Butterfly.

Me: Butterfly's a pretty name, but she's pretty big to be called butterfly. She's nearly as big as me.

The Kid: Really? Then how about Big Heart?

Me: I kind of like that, but maybe we'd translate it into Irish. I could ask Uncle Peter what that would be in Irish.

The Kid: How about Molly?

Me: Molly keeps coming up alright.

The Kid: I gotta go.

Me: OK, have your dad email me if you think up any more names. Thanks for your help.

Now I understand the enormity and difficulty of this task, since not even The Kid could magic up the perfect name without thinking about it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 24 November 2008 at 02:10, Blogger Kim said...

How adorable. He's the cutest thing ever.

 
At 24 November 2008 at 08:59, Blogger Babaloo said...

I really, really like Butterfly. But not for this dog, that doesn't work.

 
At 24 November 2008 at 13:00, Blogger Irene said...

Kid is a good name. You'd say, "Hey Kid, come over here and eat your supper." That would work. "Chew on that bone, Kid."

 
At 25 November 2008 at 04:59, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - I wish The Kid could meet Callie. I think her head would be nearly level with his head. I'd love to see what he'd make of her.

Babaloo - No, she's about the least graceful creature I've ever met. Nothing light or flittery about her either. Butterfly is a good name for a hyperactive, 3-kilo Maltese.

TBB - Kid would be a good name for a cheeky sort of dog. Maybe that will be your next dog. :)

 
At 26 November 2008 at 15:41, Blogger Irene said...

Good idea, Ann, I will keep that in mind.

 
At 27 November 2008 at 09:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home