Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Seven Things Meme (With a Twist)

Last week, my blog pal over at Wake Up and Smell the Coffee tagged me with a meme to reveal seven unusual facts about myself. A tough one, because I've been at this blogging business awhile and have revealed many unusual facts and peculiar things I've done or thought. What could possibly be left?

I took my brain out and shook it, hoping enough random facts would fall out that I could complete the meme. I told myself if I could think of a theme, I'd have seven facts in no time. How about medical facts or my weird OCD-esque rituals? As thrilling as it would be for you to hear about the fact that my body temperature is typically 97.5 and that I have fantastically low blood pressure, I wasn't sure I could come up with five more facts. I've led a blessedly uneventful, healthy life. As for the OCD-esque rituals, frankly, I didn't think I could stop at seven. (Even though 7 is one of my Good Numbers.)

Then one of my Danada friends sent me a doggie-sympathy e-card. (Be aware that the card does play some soft piano music, just in case you're already listening to music.) So I decided to give you seven unusual facts about my recently deceased dog, Kodiak.
  1. When Kodiak came to live with us, he was 5 years old and was a fat sausage of a dog, weighing in at a whopping (and unhealthy) 132 pounds. We knew we'd have to get the weight off of him if his hips were going to hold up. He followed the same diet principle I do - eat less, move more. He went on special food, didn't get a lot of treats, got loads of walks, and had Caper to chase him around the yard. Kodiak weighed a svelte 100 pounds when he went to live with my parents at age eight.

  2. Kodiak had a garbage problem. It was an addiction that he could not break. Nothing could stop him - not a baby gate, not a shock collar, not Peter's overwhelming disapproval.

  3. The worst garbage incident required a trip to the emergency vet's for a vomiting induction. (As the doggie poison control guy said on the phone - better to have it done in controlled circumstances and cleaned up by professionals than have to spend the night mopping up after a sick dog.) The garbage bin was loaded to the top because I'd just cleaned out the fridge and had a baking disaster.

    I like to picture in my head that he knew about the jackpot and planned the heist, perhaps his last job, to cash in on it. He ate a few loaves of old bread, an entire pan of burnt brownies, and other assorted rejects from the fridge cleaning. He did all this in the half-hour it took us to get carry-out for dinner. I think it took longer for it all to come back up than it did for him to snarf it down.

  4. You might not expect it of a big, brawny dog, but Kodiak was something of a fashion plate. He loved wearing bandannas. When I'd go to tie a fresh bandanna around his neck, he would sit up much straighter and walk around proudly for the rest of the day.

  5. Kodiak was the alpha-est of alpha dogs. Much like the garbage problem, it was a compulsion. His inability to back off once dominance was established started more than one fight at the dog park.

  6. Kodiak once met an Irish Wolfhound at the dog park. He kept trying to put his head over the Wolfhound's neck, but was having no luck. Every time he tried, his thick skull just bounced off the the side of the Wolfhound's barrel chest. I'll never forget the look on his face - he was so confused and disconcerted. The thought bubble above his head said "What the heck is going on here? This always works! Why isn't this working? Don't laugh at me!"

  7. Kodiak had absolutely no idea how big he was. If invited, he would quite happily climb up into your lap. For my birthday one year, I told Peter I wanted a very large, very comfy armchair. My requirement was that it had to be wide enough to comfortably fit Kodiak and me, sitting side-by-side. It took a lot of shopping, but the chair was one of the best presents ever. We whiled away many a happy hour, curled up together in our chair.

20 Comments:

At 16 January 2008 at 16:13, Blogger Kim said...

Oh, Ann. This made me cry.

He was a wonderful dog.

 
At 16 January 2008 at 16:19, Blogger Robyn Jones said...

This was a cool meme...
I have a chihuahua with a fashion complex...and a shitzu who thinks he is a pitbull.....

 
At 16 January 2008 at 16:25, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - Wow, I will have to warn you when I write the post he's truly worthy of, the one about what he meant to me. You might need tranquilisers. :)

RJ - Thanks - you should do it. I don't go in for tagging much, but you could probably get 2 posts out of it. And everyone loves dog photos!

 
At 16 January 2008 at 16:42, Blogger ped crossing said...

The things we do for our pets. We bought a shorter bed so Velcro could jump up and down easier.

He sounded so sweet.

 
At 16 January 2008 at 23:55, Blogger Kim said...

Okay, yes, I'm a lightweight.

However, what made me cry was the chair. You shopped for a chair to share with him. That is enough to tell me what he meant to you.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 04:21, Blogger Irene said...

What a great dog Kodiak was. Some dogs are extra special and they keep a place in your heart forever. I think I have those kinds of feelings for the dog we have now. He is a Cocker Spaniel with the name Jesker and he is loyal and kind and unshakably steady.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 06:25, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - I'm a lightweight too. :)

SI - Jesker sounds like a great dog.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 08:25, Blogger mama speak said...

My Merit is the same way w/ banandas, I swear she'd be thrilled if we dressed her (only on Halloween, and then we usually just spray a line of white hairspray and make her a skunk, cause I'm cheap.)

And I totally get it about the chair, I have one that Merit's allowed in with us and even though it's old and ratty (the cat's like it as a scratching post) I won't get rid of it because Miss Merit fits so perfectly in it as a lap dog. She's only 50 lbs though.)

 
At 17 January 2008 at 08:47, Blogger Babaloo said...

What a fantastic dog! And that image of you and him in the chair is one I will keep for the rest of the day. It made me smile so much.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 13:25, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Great meme. Do you still have the chair?

 
At 17 January 2008 at 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...such a sweet puppy. You have such wonderful memories of Kodiak.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 18:39, Blogger -Ann said...

MS - I loved dressing the dogs up for Halloween, much to Peter's dismay.

Babaloo - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've decided that even though I look a drugged up (I think I maybe have been ill), that is my favourite picture of Kodiak.

WUASTC - Thanks and thanks for the tag. We don't have the chair anymore. The only piece of furniture we took with us on our big move was our bed.

Susan - He was a great dog and friend. :)

 
At 17 January 2008 at 18:39, Blogger Sandy said...

That is just a lovely tribute! I can just see the two of you cuddled together in the chair and what a thoughtful guy to get it for y'all.

 
At 17 January 2008 at 22:46, Blogger John of Dublin said...

Nice story Ann!

 
At 18 January 2008 at 12:38, Blogger Jill said...

hey ann, who;s hosting fun monday next week? thanks

 
At 18 January 2008 at 14:20, Blogger laurie said...

what a wonderful post. what a wonderful dog. and what wonderful pictures. he has a very expressive face.

 
At 18 January 2008 at 18:48, Blogger -Ann said...

Sandy - Yeah, I lucked out on two counts. :)

John - Cheers. Good to see you blogging again.

LM - Vicky, who started it all a year ago
http://catchinglight.typepad.com/catchthelight/

Laurie - Thanks. Peter took the first and last, my dad took the middle picture. Expressive is the exact word we always used. (He also had very intense eyes.)

 
At 18 January 2008 at 19:47, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

What a character he was! This was both sad and sweet at the same time. Now I have a mental picture of the two of you duking it out over chair space.

 
At 18 January 2008 at 22:22, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh, so sorry you lost your lovely dog. Looks like you have some great memories. And the card made me fill up. :(

 
At 19 January 2008 at 08:43, Blogger -Ann said...

RC - Character's a good word for him alright. And the beauty of the char is that it really was wide enough to accommodate both of us.

JB - Thanks. I still can't watch that card without crying. I don't know why, but when the bird lands on the dog's head, it really gets to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home