Saturday, May 12, 2007

Seven Things

I've always wanted to be tagged for something, so, thanks, Laurie, for giving me a reason to do a post. (In point of fact, I do have a post scribbled on a piece of scrap paper that I wrote last week at work while waiting for something to download on a very slow connection, but I've not yet managed to type it up yet.)

Thinking up seven interesting things that you don't know about me is pretty difficult, partly because I'm not really that interesting and partly because I'm fairly open about sharing online the neuroses that make for good answers to these sorts of challenges.

So...here we go.

1. I started cello lessons in fourth grade on a dare. The instrument was bigger than I was and the tallest boy in the class dared me to play it.

2. I love boats and swimming but I am terrified of the ocean. Wading into waves on the beach is fine. Being on a boat in the open water gives me the heebies.

3. I broke up with my first "boyfriend" after he told me, during a phone conversation, that he ate gerbils and worshipped the devil. I was in eighth grade at the time and the word boyfriend has to be used fairly loosely, as neither of us drove, we went to different schools, lived about 10 miles apart, and our only date was at a "Welcome Incoming Freshman Dance" at my high school.

4. The Gerbil Eater, as he came to be known, was not the first boy I ever kissed. That didn't happen until I was 16 and a half and a junior in high school.

5. My favourite sandwich is cheese and crisps on brown bread. You just can't beat the crunch.

6. Because of extensive orthodontia, I am missing 4 molars, all 4 wisdom teeth, and a small bone in the roof of my mouth.

7. My special talent is being able to find bathrooms. I can walk into a pub or hotel and locate the toilet instinctively.

5 Comments:

At 12 May 2007 at 21:11, Blogger laurie said...

those all made me chuckle (i hope that was the intent) but no. 3 made me laugh out loud!

it reminded me of seventh grade and my first "boyfriend." i never actually met him. we talked on the phone and somehow smuggled notes back and forth. he was in a school for wayward boys and one of my friends was "dating" one of his friends.

i was ashamed of him, not because he was wayward, but because his grammar and spelling were so bad. but i wrote his name on my hand anyway, in ballpoint, which may or may not have alarmed my parents.

 
At 12 May 2007 at 21:35, Blogger Babaloo said...

Hi Ann,

Found you through Laurie's blog. I think it's funny that we both live in Co. Cork (me East and you West it seems) but our connection is through someone half a world away.

Anyways, since I was tagged by Laurie, too, I went to look for the other people who were tagged. I like your 7! I'm with you on 5 and I think 7 is quite a handy talent.

B:-)

 
At 13 May 2007 at 07:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#7 is truly a gift, Ann. Truly.

In my local, numerous renovations in the 220 years since it was originally built, make navigation very difficult. Only about 3 in 10 first-timers can locate the loo. The thing is, only 1 in 10 find their way back.

Can you do the reverse route too? Without leaving a trail of breadcrumbs, that is.

 
At 13 May 2007 at 09:00, Blogger -Ann said...

Laurie - yes, chuckling was the intent. And I love the story of your first boyfriend.

Babaloo - The Internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

PS - That's an excellent question. I've never really paid attention. I'd say that I'm probably not as well able to find my way back, given how little I notice my surroundings when I'm bolting for the loo.

 
At 13 May 2007 at 14:47, Blogger laurie said...

that's a funny question, about finding your way back. one night we had dinner in paris with our friend erik. we were sitting outside at an italian place. he went to the bathroom---and came back from an entirely different direction, looking confused and baffled. turns out there are two doors to the patio, and he went in one but accidentally came back out the other and got lost.

so a few minutes later when doug went to the loo... yep. came back the wrong way, too.

i decided to just wait my trip until we were somewhere less confusing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home