Tuesday, January 01, 2008

December Reads

December was a good reading month - long nights, holidays, and vacation days. Plus, I had the means and opportunity to buy new books so I had a lot to keep me occupied.

I'm almost embarrassed to say the total for the month (15), since it's a pretty good indicator of A. how much I don't have a life and B. how much trash I read. :) I read so many books that I'm not going to give a summary of each book because it would bore you and hurt my head. Instead, I'm going to give a 1-word review of each book.

So, in order, from least favourite to most favourite:
15. Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell - Disappointing
14. Fear by - Jeff Abbott - Boring
13. Death Message by Mark Billingham - Confusing
12. Whisky Sour by JA Konrath - Annoying
11. Rusty Nail by JA Konrath - Unrealistic
10. Marley and Me by John Grogan - Humourous
9. In Big Trouble by Laura Lippman - Unmoored
8. The Sugar House by Laura Lippman - Layered
7. Slam by Nick Hornby - Charming
6. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - Interesting
5. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - Thought-Provoking
4. No Good Deed by Laura Lippman - Hearty
3. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - Harrowing
2. The Last Place by Laura Lippman - Twisty
1. On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan- Amazing

5 Comments:

At 1 January 2008 at 15:33, Blogger Kim said...

That's a great idea, Ann. I am excited to see the Nick Hornby, I love him and haven't read that one. I'll have to go find it, poste haste!

 
At 1 January 2008 at 15:52, Blogger -Ann said...

Hey Kaycie - The Nick Hornby book is classified as a "Young Adult" novel, so you might have to go to a different section to find it. I highly recommend it. :)

 
At 1 January 2008 at 16:23, Blogger laurie said...

and chesil beach. oooh wow.

i only read four books all month. i was almost embarrassed to turn in my totals to my nephew, who coordinates the Competitive Reading Club, which, sadly, i will not win this year... but you would!

 
At 2 January 2008 at 13:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you were able to read that much!!! Although I have to take issue with Jodi Picoult. I read one of her novels and nearly through it across the room a la Water for Elephants. I had the same bad reaction. :-)
Amy P

 
At 3 January 2008 at 06:21, Blogger -Ann said...

Laurie - I don't know, your group is awfully competitive. :)

Amy - Yeah, but I read trash. The trashiest of trash, in fact. I knew you were going to needle me about Jodi Picoult. Which book did you want to hurl across the room? I felt that way about "My Sister's Keeper", with its overly precious I've-got-an-MFA-and-I'm-Not-Afraid-to-Use-It voice. But then someone gave me a copy of "The Pact" and it wasn't half-bad. Of course, my standards are much lower than yours. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home