Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Swamp Creature Sleeps Alone

Sunday morning, I woke up at 6.30 to find Peter not in the bed. This is unusual although not unprecedented. Every once in a while, he will stay up ludicrously late and crawl into bed around the time I am waking up. But I had fuzzy recollections of him coming to bed - and of scolding him for snoring. I couldn't imagine the circumstances under which he would be up and about before me.

I found him sleeping on the living room couch, all curled up under the fleece blankets, his 6' frame not exactly suited to the 4' couch. I whispered to him that the bed was free, but he was sleeping soundly and I didn't want to risk waking him fully. I knew what had happened - my head cold was making me snore enough to drive him from the bedroom.

Around 9.30, a bird chirping on top of the chimney pipe woke Peter up for the day. It's amazing how loud that sounds. First, you think the bird is in the chimney. Then you realise the chimney is acting as a giant bird-megaphone. It's a little creepy, in a way. Who knows what message the bird is broadcasting to any pet birds you might have in the house.

One of the first things Peter said to me was "You should have heard the sounds you were making. It was like sleeping next to the Swamp Creature." He proceeded to make a series of horrifying, disgusting noises and then told me that he couldn't replicate the sounds, that they were even worse than his approximations.

So last night, Peter has slept in the guest room. I hate that he has to do that - the pack should always sleep in the same room - but it seemed like the best solution to assure good sleeping for both of us. I was hopeful that I would get a couple of good nights' sleep, since I usually do when I have the bed to myself. It feels like I haven't had a good night's sleep in several days.

This morning is a bit better but yesterday morning, I felt so strange and confused. I'd slept for 7 hours straight, but it was like I hadn't slept at all. Getting through the days recently has been like wading through treacle, only not as tasty. (In fact, I can't taste or smell anything - the silver lining of this cold had better be some appreciable weight loss.) I'm so muddle-headed, I'm forgetting things and losing my train of thought and generally freaking myself out.

When I told Peter yesterday about my lousy sleep, he said he wasn't surprised, that with all the horrible Swamp Creature sounds I'm making, I'm having apnea throughout the night. So this is what it feels like! I could never understand how someone would be able to sleep wearing one of those scary masks. It seems to me like it would be so restrictive and claustrophobia-inducing. But now I get it. I've only been this way for a few days. I can see that after months or years, I'd be willing to try anything to get some decent sleep.

I've been horrible, snappish, whingy, and defensive lately. (I've also been half-deaf with ear congestion.) I hope that for both our sakes, my cold and my sleeping improve soon. Until then, the Swamp Creature sleeps alone.

10 Comments:

At 11 March 2008 at 08:29, Blogger Babaloo said...

Oh poor you! I hope you're taking some time off work. Honest, working in this condition will make everything even worse.
My Dad has one of these masks, he's got sleep apnea pretty bad and he looks like an astronaut when he's going to bed. But he says you get used to it.
Get well soon!

 
At 11 March 2008 at 09:51, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Hope you feel better soon Ann. A head cold is bad enough but lack of sleep as well is just torture. {hugs}

 
At 11 March 2008 at 11:45, Blogger laurie said...

are you taking zinc? it will knock your cold out. not zinc pills that go to the stomach, but lozenges that you suck on. the trick is getting the zinc into your mucous membranes. it really does help.

also, honey at bedtime. (not babaloo's honey.)

we have a "drunken bed" that we use in these situations. it's actually the guest bed, but if i go out for the evening with friends, doug gets to banish me to the guest room so that i don't wake him when i come lurching home. (drunk or sober.)

and i do the same with him.

yes, the pack should sleep in the same room. but the need for rest prevails....

 
At 11 March 2008 at 12:51, Blogger Kim said...

I hope you're feeling much better soon. We have a house full of children, so there's no guest bed to retreat to when the other is snoring up a storm. Good thing my couch is big and comfy.

 
At 11 March 2008 at 13:21, Blogger Carrie @carrieloves said...

I hope you feel better soon. Have you tried a humidifier (cool air), it might help keep things "flowing." My husband has sleep apnea and most nights I can sleep thru it, but there is the occasional night I am like Peter & on the couch.

p.s. I got my picture in the mail yesterday - it is gorgeous! Thanks so much.

 
At 11 March 2008 at 17:11, Blogger Col said...

Sending healing vibes your way... I've got a nasty head cold too. Nate brought it home, lovely. But for him it caused croup, and a night trip to the ER for some medicine. Not much fun!

I'm still unemployed. Did you ever get your BRS tickets?

 
At 11 March 2008 at 17:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have totally had that cold before. The kind where even the cat won't sleep with me in the bed. Recently, I started trying to use a mouth guard when I sleep to keep from grinding. It took about a full month of trying before I could make it through the night with that weird thing.

 
At 12 March 2008 at 03:51, Blogger ped crossing said...

Do you have to deal with setting the clocks forward there too? That has been killing me the last two nights.

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 12 March 2008 at 05:22, Blogger Irene said...

Oh, you poor thing you. Some people don't suffer a cold well and others undergo it quietly. Thankfully, I have been spared this winter. I have sleep apnea, but I think it has gotten better since I have lost weight, but I may be the reason why I sleep so badly.

 
At 12 March 2008 at 06:42, Blogger -Ann said...

Babaloo - Thanks. I took yesterday off and it's really made all the difference.

AOJ - Thanks. I'm feeling much better now.

Laurie - Nope, I will have to stockpile some for next time. I do put honey in my tea and it comforts me, if nothing else. I like the drunken bed idea. (I picture the bed stumbling around, trying to hit on the dresser.)

Kaycie - A comfy couch would be key in a house full of kids.

Carrie - Ireland is so humid that I'm not sure a humidifier would make much of a difference. I used to rely on one when we lived in Chicago though. Glad you like the photograph.

Col - Thanks...poor you and Nate. At least when I'm sick, I only have to take care of myself. I did get the tickets. I'll send you an email soon to whine all about it. :)

Noelle - I grind my teeth from time to time, but nothing severe or regular enough to require a mouth guard. Not sure I could get used to it.

PC - No! We don't go forward until the last Sunday of the month. And we fall back the week before you too.

SI - Thanks. I've been unusually whingy about this cold and I can only think that it's down to the lack of sleep. Glad to hear your apnea has improved - it's a tortuous thing to have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home