Friday, March 07, 2008

Punch Drunk

I've had a rough couple of weeks and haven't been shy in the complaining department. Poor Peter gets the brunt of this moaning. It just seems like any time I've made plans lately, I've been thwarted.

If there's one thing I hate, it's when my plans change. I love my plans. I like things to go according to plans. Most of my day-dream time is spent creating potential plans. When I say I'm going to be at a certain place at a certain time, I want to be there at that time. Any manner of lateness or cancellation produces excessive levels of frustration and anxiety.

Peter's a good match for me in that he's incredibly laid back. He's the Great Dane to my loopy terrier. When I'm running around, yipping at anything that moves, he's stretched out and relaxing. He's able to just float along, taking things as they come. Unlike me, he doesn't feel any uncontrollable desire to bend the world to suit his will. I know he gets frustrated, watching me bang my head against brick walls when events force me to change my plans.

The following exchange sums up my problems perfectly:

Peter: B, you have to learn to roll with the punches.

Me: I'd rather punch the puncher.

Maybe I need to take up boxing. Then I'd learn how to avoid and minimise the punches and I'd have an outlet for my frustration and aggression. Of course, I shudder to think what would happen if something got in my way of going to boxing.

8 Comments:

At 7 March 2008 at 05:39, Blogger Kim said...

I'm seriously attached to my plans as well. And I have a couple of rigid rules that make little sense to anyone but me. I refuse to watch a movie if we arrive late. I will make everyone either see another picture or go home. Makes me popular.

If you take up boxing, warn us in advance. I have a feeling you'd be a bit dangerous.

 
At 7 March 2008 at 07:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're a good match for each other - both 'sides' need balance :-)

 
At 7 March 2008 at 08:52, Blogger Babaloo said...

I love the terrier/dane comparison! Our health club in Ballincollig offers a kickboxing class. Maybe you should consider that? ;-)

 
At 7 March 2008 at 11:55, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Oh you and me both. If I'm going to be more than a minute late I get into a right panic and as for changing plans, lts not go there. The world needs to learn to bend to my will too

 
At 7 March 2008 at 12:13, Blogger Babaloo said...

forgot to say... there's an award at my place...

 
At 7 March 2008 at 12:52, Blogger laurie said...

oh boy....i just hate having plans at all, in general.

there is nothing that makes me happier than wide open expanses of completely unplanned and unobligated time.

 
At 8 March 2008 at 02:53, Blogger Irene said...

I am also a person who lives by a schedule and who likes things to go as planned and who does not like last minute changes. I am not a very adaptable person and I am not at all spontaneous.

Eduard, on the other hand, is like Peter, and I should thank God for that. If I get too neurotic, I know I can drop everything and Eduard will pick up the pieces and everything will be fine.

I don't think I am going to change. I am 54 now and it is part of my general personality. Oh, well...

 
At 8 March 2008 at 07:18, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - I also HATE to see a movie unless we're there for the start. I can't remember the last time we were late to a film. In fact, I need to be there early so I can get exactly the seats I want. As for the boxing, I think you're safe in Oklahoma. :)

Conortje - Yeah, the balance is great. If we were both like Peter, few things would ever get done. And if we were both like me, we'd probably kill each other.

Babaloo - More boxing, less kicking. I hate kicking. Thanks for the award - that was very kind of you.

AOJ - It's a horribly exhausting way to live, isn't it?

Laurie - Sounds like you're going to have a fabulous weekend then. Enjoy your un-schedule.

SI - Eduard sounds like a keeper. I'd like to change, a little though. I hope I have a chance at it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home