Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sunday Afternoon

Peter had an unexpected day off, so I turned my planned solo outing into a family outing. (This is one of those rare instances when I'm happy to have my plans changed.)

My intended itinerary was a hike with Toby around Muckross Lake, but I've come down with a nasty head cold. Peter's dad Tom always said that a bracing walk along a pier could blow a cold right out of you, and it seems that at least one marginally scientific study backs up this folksy wisdom. I flipped through my handy Lonely Planet guide and declared that we would instead go to Rosbeigh Beach in County Kerry, which was described as "a tendril of sand protruding into Dingle Bay, with views of Inch Point and the Dingle Penninsula. On one side the sea is ruffled by Atlantic winds, on the other it's sheltered and calm."

When we arrived at the beach, those famed Atlantic winds were blowing in a squall, so we waited in the car. Some of us (i.e. Peter and Toby) waited more patiently than others, but we were all glad when the rain blew through quickly. We had an nice time walking along the wind-ruffled side of the beach. I had been puzzled when I read the description - how could one side be ruffled and one side be calm? How wide was the beach? I still couldn't tell you how wide the beach is, but I can tell you a nice sturdy ridge of sand dunes is what shelters the other side.

Although the car park held a fair few cars, the beach was not very busy. (It seems like the playground near the car park is the big draw.) After a few minutes, we were the only people for a good distance, so Peter let Toby off the leash and the frolicking began. We made it about half-way to the end of the beach when we spotted another squall on the horizon. It looked bigger and darker than the first one, so we talked ourselves into turning around. It was definitely the right decision, even when the squall ended up tracking north instead of heading to the beach. We did get caught by a little baby of a rain shower, but nothing significant.

It was a fine Sunday afternoon out, and we're all looking forward to going back and exploring the calm side as well as the ruffled side.

7 Comments:

At 9 March 2008 at 20:11, Blogger Wisewebwoman said...

Just caught up on your last few posts and your Barleycove story gave me the shivers as I very nearly drowned there, the waters can be so treachourous and the pull of the tide almighty. I've got such deep respect for the water today!
Lovely pics, I so love West Cork, spent so much time there and will do so again this September.

 
At 9 March 2008 at 21:58, Blogger Babaloo said...

What a fantastic photo! I absolutely love it. And I have a feeling I've been at that beach, I do remember the name but can't place it at the moment. Will have to look it up on the map.
Glad you had such a nice Sunday!

 
At 9 March 2008 at 22:17, Blogger laurie said...

that's a happy picture.

and that's my kind of afternoon.

 
At 10 March 2008 at 02:16, Blogger Irene said...

What an absolutely great place to get blown about. I can't wait to hear what it is like on the calm and windless side.

Jesker has never been to the beach, I wonder what he would make of it. Imagine all that space for him to explore and then those waves!

 
At 10 March 2008 at 02:52, Blogger Kim said...

You look so happy, Ann. Such a cute picture.

 
At 10 March 2008 at 03:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one awesome photo. Wow !

 
At 10 March 2008 at 07:19, Blogger -Ann said...

WWW - Now see, that's the kind of one-line story that can keep me awake at night. I did tell Peter that if the water had gotten any higher, I would have turned around. The pull wasn't strong at all. But, in future, I probably would be much more likely to find another way across. :)

Babaloo - It's just south and a little west of Kilorgolin. It's a great beach.

Laurie - It was a happy time alright.

SI - Has Jesker been to a lake? Does he like to swim?

Kaycie - The tide had just come in, a bit higher than it had the last time, and had just crested my wellies. So I was laughing. Toby, on the other hand, does not look so pleased.

Swampy - Thanks. I think it's destined to become one of my favourites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home