Monday, March 17, 2008

Fun Monday

This week's Fun Monday host is Nikki and she has a two-part challenge. First:
I don't know about you, but my family is great at creating strange words that only we know the meaning. Some were created when the kids were first learning to talk, others came about when our tongues were twisted and the word came out funny. Either way, the words stuck and we still use them in our daily conversations. What created words does your family use?! Please share the story behind the word if you remember.

Either my family doesn't have a lot of these words or I don't remember them very well. I can only think of one - k-iet (the k rhymes with by and the iet is 'et'), which was used in place of quiet. As for the origin, I invented it when I was two or three, probably because I couldn't say 'quiet' properly. Apparently, being quiet was valued around our house and the phrase was usually used as "here, this will keep you k-iet." We lived in apartments and duplexes until I was eight, so that's probably why the premium was placed on k-ietness.

Now, onto the second part of the challenge:
In honor of St. Paddy's Day, please share your worst green beer story!

I am really falling down on this Fun Monday challenge - I don't have any green beer stories. If a beer is light enough that you can colour it green, it's not anything I want to drink. I'm more a fan of stouts and porters.

But never fear, I have a green food story for you, direct from Macroom, County Cork. I was at the butcher on Thursday and he had a tray of green sausages, with a little hand-made sign that said "For St. Patrick's Day."

The butcher is great- fantastic quality and all the meat is 100% Irish, 100% traceable, and most of it is local. (Can someone tell me why all the chicken farms are in County Cavan?) If green sausages were ever going to tempt me, these would be the ones I'd go for. But still, there is something really wrong looking about green sausages.

I was curious though, so when I had a chance, I asked the butcher how they made the green sausages. I guess I was expecting him to say the polite version of "Duh, food colouring." The answer was much more polite and natural: spinich. So that's how a craft butcher makes green sausages.

I hope for your sake the other Fun Monday participants are more fun than I am. Go check them out.

26 Comments:

At 17 March 2008 at 07:04, Blogger Irene said...

Well, spinach does sound more appetizing than some green food dye, I suppose. Green sausages or any green food puts us off, because it instinctively reminds us of spoiled food.

Where did this strange habit originate anyway? I thought it was something American, but I guess not.

I have no Irish blood whatsoever and on top of that, I am not Catholic, so I guess I really can't seriously celebrate the day. I can't even wear green underwear, because I don't own any.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 07:55, Blogger Babaloo said...

Green sausages? I would never have thought... Is it the butcher with the blue storefront on the Main St? If it is, you HAVE to try their pork & apple sausages, they're fantastic. And spinach actually sounds good. Even if I wouldn't like the colour, I think I'd go for the taste.
I wouldn't have any green beer stories either. I wouldn't drink it, looks disgusting I think.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 10:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

Actually spinach Green sausages might be quite nice!!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 11:55, Blogger laurie said...

spinach! i would totally eat that.

how hilarious that he made green sausages. that's gotta be the cheesy American influence.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 11:56, Blogger laurie said...

ps i have never had green beer, either. but i have seen the fountains of Savannah dyed green, and also the chicago river. does that count?

 
At 17 March 2008 at 12:33, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

Spinach?!?!? OMG! I wonder if it makes the sausage have a spinachy taste? I like it though, much better than artificial dye!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Slainte!!!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 13:15, Blogger Peter said...

I only have one word for green sausages Ann, PASS.
This looked fairly easy until we started to do the assignment right???

 
At 17 March 2008 at 13:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you about the dark beer. Love the stouts, especially when they have a hint of molasses. Green sausages? No thank you.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 14:32, Blogger Kim said...

One of my favorite sausages is a chicken and spinach sausage that I stumbled onto once trying to make our diet more heart healthy. It is quite green all year long.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 16:11, Blogger Sayre said...

Hmmm... normally, green sausages would sound pretty disgusting - however, spinach sausages sound quite yummy!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 16:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green spinach sounds much yummier than food dye! Thanks for playing!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 17:07, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

It's usually very cheap beer that they color green. You know, the kind that sends you to the ladies room frequently? I would think that spinach juice might improve the taste, but I still think that time spent drinking cheap beer is time wasted.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 17:28, Blogger mama speak said...

Green beer is for the college kids really; cause anything that makes you pee green, um yuck!

We eat chicken, feta & spinach sausage all the time here, I was actually surprised your assumption was food dye, mine was spinach, so there you go. But dude, you live in IRE and I'm the US so shouldn't those comments be reversed? Wouldn't you think?

Ann, I was hoping for big plans from you for St. Paddy's! At least say you went to the pub! (Although I have several friends from Ireland and from what I understand it's more of a church holday over there, it's defineatly a drinking holiday over here.)

Oh and Sweet Irene..
Don't you know, "everyone's a wee bit Irish on St. Paddy's Day!" :)

Slainte!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 18:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

spinach in the sausage sounds much better than food coloring.

However - mind over matter is a strange thing when it comes to eating green food. I made green eggs for my kids on Dr. Seuss day and I could barely eat it (even though it tasted just like eggs - it was hard to get past the whole green part)

 
At 17 March 2008 at 19:54, Blogger Heather said...

Wow, I think your butcher managed to make sausage a health food!

Green beer, I believe, is an invention of the American's. The Irish American's love their Irish roots (even if they are hard to trace) and we have all kinds of crappy beer here that looks and tastes better dyed green! I imbibed many a green beer in college (usually with bagels at 7:00AM on St. Patrick's Day), and I guarantee you it was cheap beer. Do college students drink anything else?

I am not Irish one lick, but because I married a fella with an Irish last name I get to pretend each year! (I've even been told I have such fair Irish skin - Ha!)

 
At 17 March 2008 at 21:42, Blogger Faye said...

Well I could get excited about spinach and sausage combo--perfectly good to me.

You'd asked if i was in your neck of woods for my Irish garden tour. Yes, I'll be chatting about it tomorrow.

 
At 17 March 2008 at 22:43, Blogger Amanda said...

Green sausages doesn't sound appetizing but I do like spinach and I think that would make the sausages yummy!

 
At 17 March 2008 at 23:33, Blogger IamwhoIam said...

My bet is that K-ietness was a must, living in a duplex, but as children we would have had are family evicted almost nightly.

I now want green sausages, the combination sounds apealing a little healthy with a little not so healthy - Sausage Florintine, yum.

 
At 18 March 2008 at 00:11, Blogger j said...

EWWW on both sausage and spinach! I like your St. Paddy's Day post.

Jennifer

 
At 18 March 2008 at 00:12, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Green sausage does not sound very appetizing to me. I think I would pass on those even if it is spinach. Meat should never be green. That's a rule somewhere.

 
At 18 March 2008 at 00:19, Blogger Bren said...

Green sausages, huh? Interesting!

 
At 18 March 2008 at 01:22, Blogger Sandy said...

Happy St. Paddy's, you k-iet one, you!

 
At 18 March 2008 at 01:26, Blogger Alison said...

Oh...those sausages actually sound good!!

 
At 18 March 2008 at 04:46, Blogger Kaytabug said...

ki-et...love it!!
I made Green eggs and Ham for our St Paddy's day dinner. My youngest refused to eat the eggs. Oh well. They did enjoy the Leprechaun pie!

 
At 18 March 2008 at 19:37, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I guess the spinach makes sense, I wouldn't guessed it either.

 
At 19 March 2008 at 05:53, Blogger -Ann said...

Thanks everybody for stopping by. :) I was very k-iet and boring on St. Patrick's Day, but it was good nonetheless. (Unless something tragic happens, there is just no such thing as a bad bank holiday.)

PS, Babaloo, it is indeed the same butcher - Twoomey's. They are the best and I'll have to try those pork and apple sausages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home