Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rebel County Quiz

Inspired by the contest quiz fever that seems to be tearing through my bloglines subscriptions, I've decided to join the fun and create my own quiz on the theme of County Cork.

The challenge:
To answer four questions based on photographs taken from the Peter Cox Photography web site.

The winning categories:
  • First entirely correct entry.
  • The funniest responses (as judged by me because, hey, this is my little domain).
  • All other correct entries will be entered into a random drawing.

  • The rules:
    Answers should be sent to annbscanlan at hotmail dot com.
    Please put Contest or Quiz in the Subject line so if my spam filter eats your mail, it will be easy to find amid all of the requests to enlarge my weapon of love, buy replica rolexes, and imagine that I am healthy.
    Deadline for entering is Saturday, 1 March. Winners will be announced Sunday, 2 March.

    The prize:
    Each winner will receive one unframed print, courtesy of Peter Cox photography. The print selected will be based on what we currently have in stock. I will make every effort to make sure it is a Cork photograph.

    Additional information:
    Each question is listed after its related photograph.
    You can click on any photo to open its page in a new browser window or tab.
    Using Google, Wikipedia, etc. is definitely allowed.

    The questions:

    Bucking the Trend, Gougane Barra
    1. Which 6th Century Saint built a hermitage on the island in the lake of Gougane Barra?


    Evening, Dun Lough Pier
    2. What washed up here on 2 July 2007?


    The Healy Pass, on the Cork-Kerry border
    3. When and why was the road through this pass built?


    Galley Head, Near Clonakilty
    4. Which great Irish leader, nicknamed "the Big Fella" and known for his strategy of fighting the British in "flying columns," was born near Clonakilty?

    Bonus Question: One of County Cork's nicknames is in the title of this post. Name another nickname for the county.

    Thank you for playing.

    15 Comments:

    At 24 February 2008 at 08:06, Blogger Babaloo said...

    Can I take part? Or would that be cheating?

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 08:08, Blogger Babaloo said...

    And I can't find your email in your profile? Have you got it disabled maybe? I disabled mine a while ago, maybe that's it.

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 08:41, Blogger Irene said...

    Ann, I have the answers, bu there is no email address. Help!

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 08:50, Blogger Babaloo said...

    Sweet Irene, I'm the same. Stuck for the last half hour becauseI can't send my mail!

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 09:19, Blogger Irene said...

    I bet Ann is sleeping late, because it is Sunday morning, or she's gone to church, hee, hee!

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 09:36, Blogger -Ann said...

    I took Toby for a walk, actually. :)

    Sorry about that. I've edited the post to include my email address. I've no idea why it's not showing up on my profile, since I have the address enabled. I am mystified.

    annbscanlan at hotmail dot com

    Babaloo, of course you can enter. There is no cheating in this. Everyone can enter, anyone can win. :)

    On your marks, get set, go.....!

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 09:57, Blogger Irene said...

    Okay Babaloo, I've sent in my answers, may the best woman win and may the Dutch rule, yeah!

     
    At 24 February 2008 at 11:09, Blogger Babaloo said...

    Ha ha, Irene was definitely first because I've been for a walk with Honey and then had a leisurely breakfast. I'm now wayyyy too late for this. But it's about time Irene won something. ;-) Hope you got the answers right!

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 01:59, Blogger Cynthia said...

    I love the pictures. I am too lazy to find the answers, but I may look at them all night!

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 04:11, Blogger Alison said...

    I am with Cynthia...too lazy to look for the answers...but the phots are breath taking.

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 06:06, Blogger -Ann said...

    Cynthia and Alison - You can just make up nonsense, you know. There is a Humor category, after all. :) Thanks for the compliments - I will pass them on to the man himself.

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 13:59, Blogger laurie said...

    stupid bloglines wasn't working yesterday so i didn't know about this.

    i know the last answer off the top of my head. the other three will require research.

    but i shall be back.....

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 15:49, Blogger Kim said...

    Gorgeous photos.

    Echoing Laurie, I didn't know about your post until this morning, so I'm coming late to the game, but I'll play!

     
    At 25 February 2008 at 18:25, Blogger -Ann said...

    Bloglines wasn't working! That explains a lot. I thought everyone was too busy preparing for Oscars parties to blog yesterday.

     
    At 26 February 2008 at 02:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am hoping to enter, but be warned you will be getting an American perspective. Scary isn't it? NLM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home