Saturday, February 23, 2008

You Think You Know Somebody....

Peter and I have been married for nearly twelve years. Even having spent that length of time together, we still sometimes find out surprising information about each other. Yesterday, we had a double dose of this amusing phenomenon.

Conversation One
Me: What are you watching?
Peter: Guess.
Me (Eyeball a shlumpy looking Sylvester Stallone in a rumpled suit): I dunno, the last Rocky movie?
Peter: Yep.
Me: No way! Did you not think I would want to watch that?
Peter: Honestly, no. It never crossed my mind. It's a boxing movie.
Me: I LOVE boxing movies.
Peter: But it's a washed-up boxer movie.
Me: Those are the best kind.
Peter: But it's a Rocky movie.
Me: I LOVE Rocky movies.
Peter: You don't!
Me: I do! One of my favourite childhood memories involves going to the movie theatre to see that one where he fought the Russian.
Here followed profuse apologies. I'm not terribly put out, I just thought it was funny that he would just think my default position was anti-Rocky.

Conversation Two
Peter: Why are you creating a Facebook account?
Me: Oh, because my dad has one.
Peter: Are you going to add me as a friend?
Me: You don't have a Facebook account.
Peter: I do so.
Me: Are you kidding?
Peter: No, I really do have a Facebook account.
Me: You are the last person I'd expect to have a Facebook account.
Here followed my digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole about my rational behind that thought. I really don't even remember what I said. I just know I didn't express myself very well.

11 Comments:

At 23 February 2008 at 06:54, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

It won't get any better either, believe me. It's funny how some of the interesting little tidbits get missed.

Facebook, eh?

 
At 23 February 2008 at 06:56, Blogger Irene said...

Ann, there is an award for you over at my place.

 
At 23 February 2008 at 12:04, Blogger laurie said...

that's what keeps it interesting!

 
At 23 February 2008 at 12:07, Blogger Irene said...

Oh, doesn't it bother you when you don't know these little bits about each other, or is it okay not to?

I suppose you are both two independently functioning human beings, each with your own space and your own job and your own computer.

I would feel left out if I didn't know that Eduard had a Facebook account, but then again, I could and he wouldn't necessarily know about it. Strange, isn't it?

Aha, double standards! Must do something about that!

 
At 23 February 2008 at 13:55, Blogger Kim said...

That's hilarious.

Laurie's right, those little bits and pieces are what keep a relationship interesting and fun.

 
At 23 February 2008 at 16:15, Blogger Babaloo said...

That's interesting. Those things happen. Felix & I have been married nearly 12 years, too. In June.
By the way, I've got a Facebook account, too. And I know that I'm too old for that. So are you. But it's still fun anyway. :) I'll have to try and look you up now.

 
At 23 February 2008 at 18:16, Blogger -Ann said...

RC - I imagine as we get older, we'll forget things and then learning them will be like meeting all over again. FWIW, I hate social networking sites, but most of my family is on Facebook, so, if you can't beat 'em.

SI - Thanks for the award! Peter's facebook account didn't bother me, it just surprised me. I'm trying to think of something I could learn about him that would bother me - aside the obvious, like he is mean to puppies or has a secret girlfriend.

Laurie - Yes, indeed. :)

Kaycie - I thought it was funny that both of those conversations happened in the space of about 2 hours.

Babaloo - We're 12 years in October. Good luck finding me - I don't like the way Facebook works at all. You remind me though - I have to go find you in Bookmooch. I'm going to do that now before I forget!

 
At 24 February 2008 at 22:38, Blogger Career Guy said...

If your dad jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? (Peter added me as a Friend! Capital F. I'm quite pleased.
love,
dad

 
At 24 February 2008 at 22:40, Blogger Career Guy said...

Oh--about learning things about each other? Your mother and I will be married 37 years April 24. A little while ago I looked at her and said, "I just realized: you don't have a favorite color."

 
At 24 February 2008 at 23:15, Blogger Career Guy said...

I loved your driving test trilogy. Oh darn, one thing I wanted to do in May was drive all over Skibbereen. ;-))

 
At 25 February 2008 at 06:11, Blogger -Ann said...

Dad - I thought Mom's favourite colour was yellow? Glad you enjoyed the driving test saga. If you want to see what I had to deal with, I will happily drive you through it in May. but we should probably leave Mom somewhere else. She will not like the teeny tiny roads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home