Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fun Monday: The Anniversary Edition

For the first anniversary of Fun Monday, one of its co-creators, Vicki has kindly agreed to host the festivities.

The assignment is two-fold:

For those of you who did NOT post a picture of your view from your front door, then your assignment is to post a view from your front door. To do this you stand in your doorway looking outside and take a picture. That simple. We (I) want to see what you see when you look out your front door.

For those of you who DID post your view, link back to that post you posted a year ago, and then re-list your very first post ever. We want to see how far you've come baby! Also, if you can, post the comments you received on that post.

For part one, I'm going to cheat. Because of technical issues, I don't have a means for taking a picture out of my front door. However, thanks to Hootin' Annie's Fun Monday, I have a picture that is close. This is the view from about twelve feet to the right of my front door.

Now, for the second part, I am interpreting this as a request to re-post our first ever blog post, so we can reflect on how far we've come. I started blogging almost exactly three years ago. When I started, I lived in Wheaton, Illinois and was self-employed. I had no idea that just three weeks later, I would make the fateful suggestion that would change our lives.

My first post, written on Friday, January 28, 2005 was short and self-conscious:

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

A Blog Is Born

OK, first of all, I hate that word - blog. It sounds like something you should only ever do in private. But, since my dad (http://careerguy.blogspot.com) just started one this week, I feel the pressure to start one. (Yes, if my dad jumped off a bridge, I probably would too.)

Do you think people make snap judgements about blogs the way they do when they meet someone in person? If I were meeting my blog, I'd guess the author was a runner, with a lot of energy, who likes things simple and straightforward. If I guessed that, I would be right. If you met me in person, you'd think I was a low-maintenance, incredibly quiet, average sort of person. You'd be right, except for the quiet part. I'm only quiet around strangers. Once I get comfortable with you, watch out.

My plan for this blog (ugh - have to think of different word) is to detail my marathon training and my other activities, particularly in the writing world. I'm a freelance writer, I'm trying to launch my own company, I'm looking for a publisher for my first book, and I'm writing my second book. And since all of those activities, enjoyable though they are, currently pay practically nothing, I'm looking for a part-time job.

Will I find time for all that? Will a publisher ever fall in love with my book? Will my second book get written? Will I FINALLY break 5 hours in the marathon? Stay tuned to find out.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
The only commenter was my dad:
Yay! Very well done. I loved your introduction--much better than mine. I am still looking for my voice, I guess. Love, dadeye

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

That time and place seems so long ago and far away, it's almost like reading about someone else's life. My template was different, of course, one of the plain start-up ones. And I had a pretentious title instead of just the simple title.

But the more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm still trying to break five hours in the marathon and find a publisher for my book(s).

Be sure to check out all the other Fun Monday participants.

20 Comments:

At 20 January 2008 at 23:49, Blogger laurie said...

you have a great view. dammit.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 02:41, Blogger Faye said...

Can just feel that Irish rain from your photo. Also can appreciate some of your concerns about the blogging life--but it's great for the wonderful people you meet. Did you ever come up with a better description for "blog"?

 
At 21 January 2008 at 04:21, Blogger Irene said...

The view is terrific and quite unlike mine. I should post a view from my front door just for the heck of it one day.

You've been around blog land for a while. It seems you have become adjusted to the word "blog", strange as it may sound. It is the same word in Dutch and probably all over the world.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 05:20, Blogger my4kids said...

Great view.

I think most of our first posts are kind of like that.Unsure of what we are doing.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 06:15, Blogger Alison said...

I love the green...such a beautiful vibrant color...and your open space!! I also enjoyed your first post!!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 06:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful view!!! I'd love to visit Ireland. My blog will be up in the morning since it's still Sunday here in Alaska. Marathons and writing a book...what great goals.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 09:09, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Nice view. Interesting history of your blog. Five-hour marathon? Fantastic!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 10:44, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Happy Fun Monday.

I agree, if my dad would have jumped, I'd be behind him...all the way.

I think blog [the nasty word that it is] is something that you learn as you go!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 12:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

Nice view lots of green lush land. I think your rainfall is much like ours in the UK, although my daughter in Dublin insists you get more!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 15:12, Blogger Sandy said...

What a lovely view. Whenever I think of Ireland, I think of lush greenery - and pubs, of course!

Great pic and I liked your first blog. Funny that your dad had one first - it's usually the other way around, I think. Our kids dragging us forth into the present.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 15:26, Blogger Kim said...

You have a great view.

I love that you started blogging when your dad did. It sounds like something I would do.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 16:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with "cheating" for a Fun Monday...whatever it takes, including a little rule bending (ask Swampy).

I like reading these first posts of bloggers I don't "know" very well; we were all rusty in the early days and it's nice to see each person's evolution.

Now you've got me wondering what your first title was ;).

 
At 21 January 2008 at 16:41, Blogger Bren said...

Oh, what a beautiful view!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 17:13, Blogger ellen b. said...

Wow your view is so unobstructed by anything but peaceful land! I love it. So you moved from Wheaton to Dublin, what an adventure that must be. My daughter attended Wheaton College for 3 semesters but chose to finish her education closer to home in Washington State. We still have our home in Washington but my husband is working in Southern California right now and my view is from there...

 
At 21 January 2008 at 19:44, Blogger Linda said...

I loved reading the post about the decision that changed your lives! We did the same thing almost 20 years ago - except that we moved from Texas to Iowa, but the story is the same... homeless, jobless and scared for a while, then, pretty soon, everything starts to click and you know it was the right decision! And hey, you have a lovely view too!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 20:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a very roomy view. Nice and green.

I like your dad's comment about finding a voice. I think it took me a long while to find mine in my blog too.

 
At 21 January 2008 at 20:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ok with using the word "blog" yet? In public, I mean?

 
At 21 January 2008 at 21:54, Blogger Michelle said...

That is a beautiful view you have!!

 
At 21 January 2008 at 22:02, Blogger Pamela said...

A very eye opening post - tells much about who you are as well as what you see out your front door.

 
At 30 July 2018 at 01:53, Blogger jeje said...

Souvenez-vous que l'une des nike huarache pas cher femme choses les plus importantes lors de la conception d'un site web est que vous finissez avec quelque chose que vous voudriez acheter et acheter. L'ophtalmologie est un domaine de la médecine qui traite tout en utilisant les machinations internes new balance homme bleu marine de l'œil. Et avec des chiffres comme ça, je découvre qu'il est difficile de discuter avec eux. La barrière de la langue affectera négativement les quatre étapes (formation, assaut, chaussure nike air huarache pas cher normalisation, performance) du modèle de développement d'équipe de Tuckman (Blair). Mélangeant la résistance du polyuréthane et la flexibilité du polyoxysilane, c'est le meilleur système soldes basket nike pas cher disponible pour vos besoins de réparation, d'élaboration et de fabrication. Le stand de kick-out peut être vraiment excellent avec la sangle de sac à dos, assez confortable pour trimballer l'ensemble tout autour d'un chaussure air jordan en france match de golf de neuf trous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home