Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Only Dork in this Village

On Sunday, I cycled into the village to buy the papers. When I got out on the road, I realised I was wearing white socks with black shoes. Peter is philosophically opposed to white socks but I grew up wearing white socks and saddle shoes, so I am fashion-impaired in the socks and shoes department.

Having been told that introducing myself and being friendly is important in these early days, I made an extra effort to remember to do so. I've become conditioned to just get through tasks with the minimum in human interaction and time wasting. Slowing down and talking to people is something I have to think about.

I was pleased with my first efforts though and learned the names of a few of the shopkeepers. I also waved to drivers and said 'good morning' to a few pedestrians. It was all very friendly and pleasant.

It wasn't until I got home that I realised I was wearing two different shoes. Similar in style and the same colour, but different shoes nonetheless. I have to face the fact – I'm the only dork in this village.

4 Comments:

At 24 January 2007 at 09:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, you're just the village's new eccentric

 
At 24 January 2007 at 10:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're a furriner. It's what they expect.

 
At 29 January 2007 at 19:46, Blogger -Ann said...

As luck would have it, I'm both - a furrin eccentric who is only just managing most of the time in the matching shoe department. (Actually, so many of my shoes are similar, or the same model only newer, that I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now.)

 
At 20 April 2007 at 03:41, Blogger stwidgie said...

It sounds familiar. On weekdays I get dressed in the dark because I hate to wake my husband so early. There have only been a couple surprises, like the underwear inside out. But the oddest bit is when I catch sight of myself in a mirror at work. It's often the first time I've actually seen myself that day and I don't quite recognize that person. "Oh, so that's what I look like today. Huh."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home