Sunday, October 15, 2006

Still Not a Mensa Candidate

So, this probably isn't as bad as washing my hair with conditioner, but I had another fantatstic duh-moment today.

As part of a renewed campaign to lose the stone I've put on in the last 2 years, I decided to change my breakfast/lunch habits. I've been having sandwiches, which isn't bad in and of itself, but I know I'm not getting the protein that I need. As a result, I'm not building muscle mass as quickly and I get hungry and binge-y more often than I should.

So I dug up a fairly easy recipe on CookingLight.com for chicken pasta salad. I knew I was going to be SOL when it came to getting spelt pasta over here, but I figured I might be able to get some gluten-free pasta that would be marginally better for my purposes than plain old enriched-white-flour pasta. I made my little list, I went to the store, I followed my little list. I even remembered to get tupperware containers, which were not even on my little list.

I was fairly Pleased with Self, until just now, when I started to write down the ingredients and instructions so I could make the pasta salad. Guess what I forgot? Guess what I forgot so thoroughly, I didn't even put it on my helpful little list.

Yep - Item #3, the eponymous chicken in Confetti Pasta Salad with Chicken. And it's back to the Tesco for me.

3 Comments:

At 16 October 2006 at 09:14, Blogger Fence said...

Or, you could be an innovator and have chickenless chicken pasta salad. Though that probably wouldn't help with the protein

 
At 16 October 2006 at 18:40, Blogger -Ann said...

I have a very complicated relationship with chicken - if I think too hard about it, I get completely grossed out. So I was probably just sabotaged by my sub-conscious who wanted me to do exactly what you suggested. The salad is turning out to be delicious...except for the chicken.

 
At 17 October 2006 at 20:34, Blogger -Ann said...

Hey Col - haven't seen you around in a while, Internetally speaking.

Hip injuries are funny ones because sometimes, they are not really about your hip at all. They are a result of something going wrong biomechanically somewhere closer to the ground. My left hip acts up when my right knee has its old problem. It clearly makes me alter my stride in a way that stresses the opposite hip.

Start with your shoes - are they getting too old? Are you wearing 6in spike heels around the house? Has anything happened to your knees recently? Are you carrying your kidlet around on your hip?

Other than that - rest, ibuprofin, scale back the miles a little when you start back up.

I will have to check out that site. Peter and I are cooking most nights for his parents and his dad is really fussy. Pretty much all I get to make are the staples - shepherd's pie, stew, and bacon and cabbage. Peter makes fish on Thursdays when I'm not home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home