Thursday, October 19, 2006

Quite Possibly the Best Fish in the World

One of the hardest parts of moving to Dublin was giving up our pets. I was always the first to admit that our dogs, especially, were child-substitutes and finding them new homes was only slightly less painful than dental work without anesthesia. Knowing that my parents have Kodiak has helped, but I have come to the realization that I am someone who functions better when she has a pet.

I didn't get my first dog until the month before I turned 30, but it was worth the wait. Having a dog was everything I dreamt of and more. And yes, I am one of those people who requires the slobbery unconditional love and perpetual validation a dog offers, even though I have been known to take comfort in the steely, grudging affection of a few special cats.

I knew I had hit rock-bottom on the pet front recently when I found myself writing the following email to my six year-old nephew (and meaning every word of it):


A couple of weeks ago, a really exciting thing happened to me. I went to my GAA club's Family Fun Fair and I won a goldfish! It was a game where you had to stand back about 5 feet and then toss a 50 cent coin onto a table that had a big grid on it. If you got your coin to land exactly in the middle of a square, then you won a fish.

I won a fish on my second try. I named him Sean Og, after my third- most favourite hurling player. He is quite possibly the best fish ever. He lives in my room, in a 4-liter bowl with a red top. I change the water once a week and feed him a couple of fish-food- flakes a day.

I am attaching a picture of Sean Og. Uncle Peter took the picture. It is very difficult to take a picture of a fish because of the distortion from the bowl and the fact that they don't really stay still at all.

Hope you are having fun and being good.

Love,
Auntie Ann

5 Comments:

At 19 October 2006 at 10:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two fish, called Spotty and Agent Orange. Bet you can't guess what they look like!

 
At 19 October 2006 at 18:09, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I am big on pets. Sadly I don't have any at the moment, but plan on rectifying that quite soon.

 
At 19 October 2006 at 20:45, Blogger -Ann said...

SL - Um, don't tell me. Pink and blue, right? :) I remember you had a rant about pet stores and something specifically about goldfish. Is Sean Og going to go mad because he's alone or was it that a regular bowl isn't really big enough for two fish? I tried to win a second fish but I wasn't that lucky.

Jack - Can't wait to hear about the new addition.

 
At 19 October 2006 at 22:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my cat would run and hide from your fish. I love my cat but she's a pansy.

 
At 20 October 2006 at 01:00, Blogger Lex Fori said...

"Having a dog was everything I dreamt of and more. And yes, I am one of those people who requires the slobbery unconditional love and perpetual validation a dog offers, even though I have been known to take comfort in the steely, grudging affection of a few special cats."

Me too. We always had dogs when I was a kid and I have always wanted one ever since I got out on my own. Unfortunately, most of the places I've lived don't allow dogs. My current apartment allows *small* (read: annoying) dogs, but I'm afraid to get one because I don't know where I will live next. To fill this void, I have accumulated two snotty, stuck up cats: Roo and Lou. It really is a grudging affection. Even then it's only when they're in the mood. Cats are like the stuck up popular girl in high school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home