Friday, October 27, 2006

Foghlaim Dé hAoine

Several weeks ago, I got disgusted with the word lists in my Progress in Irish book. I'm never going to need to ask someone for a shilling's worth of penny sweets. I'm not the sort to pray or go to church, or, if I am, I'm not the sort who would announce it to the world in Irish. The book just seemed way too dated.

I went to Conradh na Gaeilge's Siopa Leabhar and bought a hip junior-cert text book, a modern dialogue-oriented study book, and two word lists books. The word list books have been a source of endless amusement for me, particularly the words I studied this week. The section was titled “Accidents” and had all sorts of helpful words: saving, rescuing, fainting, burning, drowning. If I ever have to ring for an ambulance in the Gaeltacht, I will be ready.

Today's Foghlaim Dé hAoine is a direct result of this week's morbid word list.

Nil sé ag fáil báis.

Tá sé gan aithne amháin.


File under:

4 Comments:

At 27 October 2006 at 09:01, Blogger Fence said...

He isn't getting death, isn't that the direct translation? Something to that effect. Irish is great :)

 
At 27 October 2006 at 09:02, Blogger Terri said...

That should come in handy after a long night out in Temple Bar sometime, yes?

 
At 29 October 2006 at 02:15, Blogger Career Guy said...

Well then, I'll need you take you with me into the hinterlands just in case I have an incident.

 
At 1 November 2006 at 19:54, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence - I am not sure of the direct translation. Would have to ask an múinteoir. But the direct translations are often great alright.

Terri - Right you are, I hadn't thought of that particular application. (Funny enough, my lessons are in Temple Bar.)

Jannie - I took German in high school and even thought was years ago (and I barely remembered enough to function on a trip to Berlin and Dresden last year), I still sometimes find myself translating from Irish to German to English.

Dad - I would insist on it. Especially with your croi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home