Friday, September 01, 2006

Foghlaim Dé hAoine

I had a lesson last night and learned the following phrase that I think could become one of my favourites.

Tá mo chroí istigh ann!

Yeah, that "ch" is a bit challenging. It's not ch-like-church. It's more ch-like-chutzpah.

So, if someone were to say to me:

An dtaitníonn camogie leat?
I would defintely have to answer Tá mo chroí istigh ann!

Awhile back, I wrote a book report and was correct on the correct spelling of scríobh in the past tense. I went with shcrioíbh because my little brain was stuck on the séimhú rule. (Basically, it seems like when it doubt in Irish, cram an h in there.) I was corrected by John and Fence, but no one was sure why the h did not belong.

I promised to ask my teacher, which I did, but I've never had my notebook next to my computer and have always been too lazy to hunt it down and let you all know. But now, a convergence of circumstances has me at the laptop with the notebook. I can with great authority say that the letter "S" doesn't always take the séimhú, namely in the following letter combinations:

  • Sc

  • Sl

  • Sn

  • St



The handy rule my teacher gave me is a common-sense idea - if it looks too hard to say, there's no séimhú.



File under:

7 Comments:

At 2 September 2006 at 20:59, Blogger Career Guy said...

How about a little help for us non-Irish speakers? What's this mean anyway--is it clean?

 
At 2 September 2006 at 21:32, Blogger -Ann said...

Hover over the text. You should get the translation and my best guess at phonetical pronunciation.

Move the mouse around if you don't get it at first. Sometimes, I find putting the mouse at the very beginning of the text helps.

 
At 2 September 2006 at 21:46, Blogger Career Guy said...

Doh! Shane explained it to me a minute ago. Now I see it. Thanks.

 
At 3 September 2006 at 22:27, Blogger Fence said...

I'm glad to see my instinct were right then :)

 
At 5 September 2006 at 17:13, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence - Yep, you were totally right and I was over-thinking it. My Irish rule, after all is, when in doubt, shove an h in there.

 
At 7 September 2006 at 13:46, Blogger Conn said...

Hi Ann. I hadn't checked in with you for a while - so I'm thrilled to see the progress you're making!

Haven't got any gold stars - so I'll give you a mention in my column tomorrow in instead. ;-)

Ádh mór!
Conn

 
At 12 September 2006 at 05:37, Blogger -Ann said...

Conn - I'm chuffed. Now I just have to figure out what you wrote. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home