Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm Flattered...I Think

Yesterday, I dragged Peter out to Thomastown pitch to work on my camogie skills. Peter is a great sport and has allowed this to be a regular occurance. We've fallen into a pattern of practising a couple of basic drills and I am beginning to see some pay-offs. At least in practise sessions. It's still a whole different story trying to execute plays when you have a couple of girls with sticks racing towards you.

I used to practise alone but I much prefer when Peter comes along. I'm able to practise many more skills. Plus, I can wear my helmet without looking like a total dork. It makes a big difference - wearing the helmet. I'm finally getting used to looking past the face mask and not letting it distract me. I wear the helmet all the time now when we go out to the pitch together.

Yesterday, Peter was standing on one side of the goal, back about 25 yards. He was trying to hit the sliotar over the bar and I was on the other side, trying to catch it. As we were playing, a guy came by and started talking to Peter. We'd seen this guy before, practising hurling with his young son in much the same way we were practising. I heard laughter and went over to check it out. Turns out, the conversation went something like this:

Guy: How old is she?
Peter (wondering why the guy would want to know): 30.
Guy: 13. Great!
Peter: No - she's 30.
Guy: Oh! With helmet on, I thought she was your daughter. We're organising an informal practise session tomorrow for the under-13s, mostly 12 and 13 year olds and I wanted to invite her to come along.

The three of us had a good laugh over the misunderstanding. I guess the secret to looking youthful is wearing a helmet.

6 Comments:

At 23 August 2006 at 22:59, Blogger Declan said...

Just be glad you didnt try a public show of affection or you may have been bailing Peter out of jail. :-)

 
At 24 August 2006 at 00:53, Blogger Arbusto said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

 
At 24 August 2006 at 09:06, Blogger Fence said...

:) I'll await the first tv ad showing just how anti-aging camogie helmets can be.

 
At 24 August 2006 at 16:12, Blogger Lyss said...

A few years ago (at age 24) I was flying to orlando from RI in Decmber for a bat mitzvah. I shared both my flights (bb/c no flight is a direct one anymore) with the New Bedford HS basketball team, also on tehir way to orlando. I sat next to a coach and a parent on the second leg (me smushed into that window seat, trapped and forced to chat with them). The two nice men asked if I was on break from school.
"School?"

"Yes, are you a freshman in college? or a senior in high school?"

"no. I gradated in 2001. I'm about to turn 25."

"You're not like 18 or 19?"

"No, but thanks for thinking I am"

(side note-- I had no makeup on and was clad in jeans and a t-shirt)

 
At 25 August 2006 at 05:51, Blogger -Ann said...

Declan - Too true. :)

Arbusto - You're laughing WITH me, right?

Fence - I'd happily be the star of that ad. Camogie helmets minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, effortlessly peeling away two decades.

Shane - You got me there.

Lyss - :) It is a compliment - I had a similar thing happen to me at a farmer's market last year. And you're right - I dress casually and never wear makeup so I guess I seem younger than I am.

 
At 27 August 2006 at 02:23, Blogger Career Guy said...

You should have joined his team! You would have been a first string star. Or horribly embarrassed being shown up by twelve year olds? No--definitely a star, until the whole charade was revealed in a tabloid expose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home