Thursday, February 10, 2005

Rushing It

I was at the grocery store today to pick up a few things. As I pushed my cart past where they've had the Valentine's Day display, I noticed that it was now stacked with Easter stuff. The Valentine's stuff was out in the middle of the no-man's land right before you step into line at a register.

The idea seems to be - let's put the Valentine's stuff where you'll trip over it and rush in the Easter stuff. I don't know about you, but my mind doesn't jump from Valentine's Day to Easter or from Halloween to Christmas.

It made me think about how maybe that's part of what's wrong with us - that we don't stop to enjoy what we're doing, what we have, or where we are. We're just always rushing onto the next allegedly exciting or enjoyable or important place.

3 Comments:

At 11 February 2005 at 00:04, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You are right. I am always looking to the future and not stopping to enjoy today. Perhaps the media enjoys screwing up our brains, with the rush into the next holdiay season. Even the young models and actresses always make me focus on tomorrow and the fact I'm growing old.

I just read a blog from an old womans perspective. It was funny and for once this year, I felt young. When we realize just where we are today, we can enjoy this step before we take the next.

 
At 11 February 2005 at 01:33, Blogger -Ann said...

Right - it's funny how relative things are. When you're rushing along, things seem so much different.

My favorite young-old difference story/memory was this past summer, we took my grandmother to the hospital for an operation. She was 90 (and a half - as she would be quick to remind us). We were on the elevator going to an upper floor and the elevator stopped and this old guy got on. He had to have been at least 75.

My grandmother looked at him and said (in a voice that was both embarrassing and endearing) "Oh how nice, a young man is joining us." She meant it too - that was the best part.

 
At 18 February 2005 at 02:15, Blogger Career Guy said...

That's a great Nana Anna story--I hadn't heard that one before. I know what you mean about moving from one holiday to the next. I always got a kick out of the Basista Furniture store windows. The marketing person was never ran out of ideas for some sale or other. Spring Sale! Memorial Day Sale! Anniversary Sale! No Particular Reason Sale!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home