Friday, August 15, 2008

June and July Reads

June was a fairly light reading month for me, since we had friends visiting and I was very active in both of my sports. I did manage to read these four books, listed here in order from worst to best:

4. Alibi Man - Tami Hoag - Self-loathing, whining narrator ruins decent mystery.
3. Bloody Mary - JA Konrath - It's probably a bad sign that 2 months after reading it, I cannot remember a single thing about it.
2. Butcher's Hill - As always, Tess Monaghan does not disappoint.
1. Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris - Hilarious look at corporate America.

What my reading lacked in June, I certainly made up for in July. Keep in mind I was on holiday for two weeks and took a round trip transatlantic flight (always good for at least 4 books in total). Plus, since I was in the States, books were cheap and plentiful. Listed in order of worst to best:

18. Fuzzy Navel - JA Konrath - Like a fifth-rate B movie, but not as enjoyable.
17. Reservation Road - Jonathan Burnham Schwartz - Overwrought
16. Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsey - Perhaps I was ruined byt the US television series, which I thought was much better than the book.
15. Lady Killer - Lisa Scottoline - Yawn.
14. Compulsion - Jonathan Kellerman - Overly complicated plot with too little pay-off.
13. No Time for Goodbye - Linwood Barclay - Great premise but it falls flat and unravels about halfway through the book.
12. This Champaign Mojito is the Last Thing I Own - Ross O'Carroll Kelly - Enjoyable enough self-absorbed D4 satire.
11. Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill - Creepy ghost story, perfect airplane reading
10. Dirty Martini - JA Konrath - Fun little read (although it might make you think twice about eating out)
9. Daddy's Girl - Lisa Scottoline - Enjoyable with fun characters
8. Little Stalker - Jennifer Belle - Good if you can overlook the skeevy Woody Allen overtones and parrallels.
7. Dry Ice - Stephen White - A solid read.
6. Dead Time - Stephen White - A twisty and twisted page turner.
5. Fourth Comings - Megan McCafferty - Jessica Darling is back and better than ever.
4. Another Thing to Fall - Laura Lippman - Another exciting Tess Monaghan mystery.
3. Year of the Fog - Michelle Richmond - Atmospheric book about memory and loss.
2. Charm City - Laura Lippman - Tess Monaghan's humble beginnings.
1. The Ghost - Robert Harris - Fantastic, fast-paced thriller.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 15 August 2008 at 23:28, Blogger Kim said...

It always amazes me how much you manage to read. In June and July, I read Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antoinette. Unless you count gardening books, that's it.

 
At 16 August 2008 at 01:21, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

Thanks to bookmooch, I have a stack of books on my nightstand waiting to be read. I've really been into Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are so fun to read!

I'll go for non-reading dry spells, but lately, I'm like you...reading my butt off!

 
At 16 August 2008 at 08:02, Blogger Babaloo said...

18 books in July?!?!?! And you still managed to "scramble" with me, go to your training sessions and work? Amazing.
And I haven't read any of the books on your list. I think I will have to start on the Laura Lippman books, you really seem to like them.

 
At 17 August 2008 at 00:50, Blogger Career Guy said...

I'll look for "The Ghost". Thanks for your reviews--saves lots of time.

 
At 18 August 2008 at 02:48, Blogger Sandy said...

I am such a slacker!

 
At 18 August 2008 at 14:24, Blogger Noelle said...

I'm impressed! You have a lot of books here that are on my "to do" list, but have not yet been done. And since I'm hoping to pick up a new one tonight, maybe I'll take you up on a suggestion or two...

 
At 19 August 2008 at 19:10, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - Yes, but clearly you go for quality over quantity.

Swampangel - I haven't read any of those - maybe I need to start.

Babaloo - I was on holiday - that's the only way I'd get through all of those.

Dad - You're welcome. I think you'll like it.

Sandy - Not at all, I was on holiday and everyone else was working, so I'd nothing else to do.

Noelle - Let me know how you get on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home