Sunday, February 03, 2008

Fun Monday

Tiggerlane, this week's gracious hostess for Fun Monday, has posed an interesting topic. She wants us to make a "bucket list", which is an itemization of at least five things you want to do before you die. I could reel off one of these lists easily, by just naming places I want to see before I die. That list is ridiculously long. I love travel, which is weird because I don't like change and I find comfort in my routines, but I love exploring new places.

But it seems like cheating to just go for the easy list. So my challenge to myself is to come up with a list that has no travel items.

1. Attempt stand-up comedy.

I can't really explain this one. Des Bishop had a show where he went into disadvantaged communities in Ireland, selected a few participants, and taught them how to do stand-up. Then, at the end of the training period, they had a show. Something about it appealed to me, even though I'm shy, don't like talking in front of people, and am not particularly funny.

2. Perfect the art of baking bread.

I love baking and I like to think I can bake just about anything, especially now that I have a trusted Kitchen Aid. But bread often eludes me. Yeast is a living thing and I haven't quite figured out how to use it properly. To ensure my bread rises, I've taken to doubling the yeast, which does pretty much guarantee a nice puffy dough, but it also results in a very yeasty tasting bread.

3. Grow a ginormous pumpkin.

Given where I've chosen to live, this might be a tough one to fulfill. I don't know that it ever really gets hot enough here to create one of those giant, 200+ pound pumpkins. But I'd like to try.

4. Qualify for and run the Boston Marathon.

The Boston Marathon is the Holy Grail for serious non-elite runners. Pretty much anyone who's run more than one marathon harbours a desire to qualify for Boston. The qualifying times are tough targets. My personal best is 5.47. I'm going to need to get a bit faster, and then hope I'm still running at 80 to qualify.

5. Send a postcard to Post Secret.

Post Secret is one of the best things on the Internet. I love the creativity and emotions that are collected there every week and would really like to participate. I've been carrying a few secrets around in my head, so it's just a matter of sitting down and doing it.

6. Participate in some crazy, big-time endurance race.

I'm obsessed with the idea of pushing myself to the edge of my limits. Endurances races fascinate me and I like the idea of doing something outrageous and difficult.

7. Go camping alone. Well, alone with a dog or two.

Given the fact that I'm a big baby and afraid of lots of things (though mostly afraid of baddies), this is probably the most difficult item on my list. But I like the idea of pushing past my limits and I also crave solitude. The idea of camping alone, ideally somewhere extremely remote and isolated, is quite appealing, even though it scares the pants off me as well.

So, that's my list. Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the other Fun Monday participants.

40 Comments:

At 4 February 2008 at 11:57, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Oh, I'd be cheering you on at the comedy club!!!!

My Fun Monday is posted. I had a good time this week, voicing my opinions on Fun Monday.
Happy week to you.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 12:13, Blogger laurie said...

you help me live in ireland, i'll help you with the comedy thing. i've never done it, but my nephew has. he took classes for years and now performs with a group in san francisco.

(they all performed at his wedding reception last fall.)

 
At 4 February 2008 at 12:26, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

That's a really great list - all about pushing yourself in different ways.

I love Post Secret, too. I'm always amazed at what people say and at the same time relieved that it isn't just me. And bread baking is the best therapy in the world. I'm addicted.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 12:33, Blogger Sayre said...

My dad used to bake bread. He was pretty good at it, but once in a while he'd get "lead bread" which was pretty much inedible. But the opossoms loved it.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 12:44, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

Good luck with the pumpkin! I tried this fall to grow one and it died beofre I even got the start of a little bump. I bet you'll have no problems with the other things on your list. Come to Florida and try camping in the Everglades! You'll only have to worry about bears, panthers, alligators, water moccasins and the skunk ape. Other than that, camping by yourself down here is easy!

 
At 4 February 2008 at 13:54, Blogger Peter said...

I'm glad its you wanting to push the physical limits, I got tired just reading about it.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 14:05, Blogger Jill said...

so many people would love to go to ireland, and yet if you want to come to the US its for the boston marathon.. hmm, that's interesting to say the least...

and i'd never be able to do stand up, sometimes i'm pretty funny but not for public!

 
At 4 February 2008 at 14:38, Blogger Kaytabug said...

Amazing list. I like that you tried to push yourself,step out of the comfort zone.

I have been wanting to send a postcard to post secret too.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 14:48, Blogger Kim said...

Baking bread is so satisfying. I'm not sure exactly why, but part of it is the aroma in your kitchen. The payoff to me, though, is warm bread with butter.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 15:12, Blogger Robocop said...

I've done number 7. I would like to try number 1. Nice list.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 15:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great list, one that challenges you to grow. I had not seen post secret before. The times for the Boston Marathon are pretty steep, but they get better as you get older, so improving your time a bit and living to 80 would be a good way to do it. For the pumpkin, if you get any sun and heat, perhaps a plastic tent would help.

I think it is great you didn't take the easy way out and do travelling. I don't know if I would have done it without those ones.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 15:53, Blogger Andre Veloux said...

You have some big challenges there. Good on you. Attempt stand up comedy, now that would take nerve.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 16:08, Blogger Carrie @carrieloves said...

I am with you with attempt stand-up comedy and send a postcard to Post Secret.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 16:38, Blogger ellen b. said...

Wow that's a great brave list! You are more of an adventurer than me. Enjoy...
Oh and I'll definately ask for advice about Cork from you! :)

 
At 4 February 2008 at 16:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have some very unique items on your list. I like it.

And it you are as willfull now as when you were five, I'm sure you'll have no problem at all crossing those items off the list.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 17:18, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

Camping in a remote place appeals to me, too. My dog could be a combination guard dog and tent warmer.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 17:45, Blogger Simply Jenn said...

I love your list. Do-able, yet hard.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 17:46, Blogger Faye said...

I love your ideas for pushing physical boundaries as we get older. And, we could all stand to lighten up a bit--so good luck on the comedy act! Oh yes, thanks for reminding me about Post Secrets--learned about them from a recent tiggerland post--fertile ground!

 
At 4 February 2008 at 18:23, Blogger Sandy said...

Your list is very interesting - very doable and very pushy, but in a good way!

When you go camping with the pups, take a cell phone, too!

 
At 4 February 2008 at 18:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well hey - sit down right now and write that Post Secret postcard! And as for the pumpkins - probably the secret is lots of fertilizer.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 18:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bro in-law is having a crack at no.1. He's pretty good.

The skill is not coming up with funnies, but knowing which are unfunnies and to leave them out.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 21:03, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Very interesting list. From baking bread to breaking out of your insecurities. I like it.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 21:40, Blogger Molly said...

I wish you the best with the stand-up comedy. I am rather sure that many comedians are actually shy people, and yet they make us laugh. To make people laugh is a noble goal.

 
At 4 February 2008 at 21:43, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Stand up comedy.....now that is brave!

 
At 4 February 2008 at 22:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

You have an inspiring list. I am full of admiration that you would even consider camping alone, although I'm sure the dogs would be good protection!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 02:06, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Your list includes baking bread. My list includes being able to make non-rock-like biscuits.

Your list includes running marathons. My list includes being able to run a mile without stopping.

You're shooting much higher than I am in life. Hee hee.

 
At 5 February 2008 at 02:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your list is great...I bet you can do them all!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 02:16, Blogger Jenni said...

Camping alone sounds great, but you should definitely bring a dog or maybe a gun. Too bad we have to think of these things:o(

 
At 5 February 2008 at 02:45, Blogger Alison said...

great list...the camping alone sounds very appealing to me also, but it frightens me a whole lot also!!!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 02:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I like about your list is that it isn't 'pie in the sky' dreaming...they are things that you could actually accomplish should you chose to. Most peoples Bucket List requires loads of money...mine included, but yours can be done with out it. Hope you achieve everything in your Bucket List!!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 03:10, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm kind of lazy, I would have to be a sit down comedienne.

I'd give up the tornado chase to live in Ireland

 
At 5 February 2008 at 03:18, Blogger Unknown said...

Great list, hope you can make it. :)

 
At 5 February 2008 at 03:38, Blogger Michelle said...

Wonderful post!! I hope you get to accomplish them all!!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 03:45, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

I love the stand-up comedy and postsecret items...I could probably add those as well. Thanks so much for participating!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 04:21, Blogger Linda said...

You sound like a glutton for punishment. I have a friend that is a stand up comic... he's good, but you can't make a living at it unless you're Rosanne, or a member of the Blue Collar comedy tour. I applaud you for trying... all I can tell you is schmooze, schmooze, schmooze! Apparently it's who you know, not how many people laugh at your material. If all else fails, you can fall back on your bread baking career!

 
At 5 February 2008 at 04:35, Blogger Joy T. said...

LOL well after you described being shy and not particularly funny while wanting to be a standup comic, I'd come to see you in a comedy club! You have a really great list, I hope you achieve everything on it.

 
At 5 February 2008 at 05:12, Blogger ped crossing said...

Great list. The only food item that I make well is bread. My trick if you are interested is to put the bread in the oven to rise with a pan of hot water under it. Works like a charm.

 
At 5 February 2008 at 06:06, Blogger bichonpawz said...

You've got some great things on your list! And I hear you on the solitude thing...I crave it too! Happy FM!!

 
At 6 February 2008 at 04:33, Blogger Cynthia said...

Your list is unique. I like it. Good luck on that running thing. Running is the anti-Cynthia!

 
At 6 February 2008 at 22:22, Blogger Princess Jewelee said...

my son wants to grow a HUGE pumpkin also

You are signed up for next week

 

Post a Comment

<< Home