Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Two Weeks, Whole Job

Two weeks from today, I will be sitting in my parent's kitchen, scarfing down saurkraut perogies with perfectly sauteed onions and basking in the adoration of my loving family. (It's true - absence makes the heart grow fonder. They adore me because they only see me once a year. :)) My first-ever dog, Kodiak, will be nudging his head under my arm, trying to get any attention he can. I will, of course, lavish him with attention. I've grown to love Toby, but Kodiak is one of those special lifetime dogs.

Two weeks. I just have to get through the next two weeks and then I can board the aeroplane, curl up with a good book (or two), and read my way through my travels. I hate flying (terrified of it) but I love traveling. I hate being cooped up for long flights, but I love having all that time to read. I especially like the westbound transatlantic flights. (Eastbound, not so much.)

I just have to get through the next two weeks. I'm very busy at work with a project that I have to complete before I leave, I'm doing NaNoWriMo, training for a marathon, and playing the lovely (cooking) assistant for Peter's workshops. With all that going on, you'd think time would be flying. But no, it's not. Today felt like it was at least three weeks long.

I'll be in Cleveland for 8 days. Last night, I sent out emails to my friends to let them know of my plans and try to arrange a time to catch up with them. The responses came in and then I started to mentally divide the time. Thanksgiving is Family Day. Good Friend A from High School will only be in town until Sunday. Old College Buddy wants Monday. Good Friend B from High School is blessedly flexible. Another friend from high school, whom I haven't seen since we graduated, is also blessedly flexible, although she lives about 25 minutes away, so getting to meet up with her might be tricky. (No US license, no Irish license - I'm going to need my parents or brother to drive me around. It'll be just like high school except my hair isn't quite as big.)

Work in time to spend with my brothers (YB will only be there until Sunday as well), and my nephew. And my parents. And Kodiak, of course. And Aunt Lois, who sometimes comments on my blog. Suddenly, 8 days doesn't seem long enough.

Time is a funny thing. I don't know how it is already November. I moved to the Middle of Nowhere in January and the rest is just one big blur. The next two weeks look like they're going to be dreadfully, ridiculously slow. Then I'll get to Cleveland and eight days will pass in the blink of an eye.

I sure don't understand it. But I bet I'll have lots of time to think about it in the next two weeks.

3 Comments:

At 7 November 2007 at 23:23, Blogger laurie said...

i'm with you--love traveling, not a huge fan of flying.

try dried cherries, to help with jet lag!!! a fistful every night before bed, and a fistful on the plane if you plan to nap.

it really helps.

will you blog from cleveland? sounds like you wont have time. but blogs serve as good journals, too.

 
At 8 November 2007 at 03:23, Blogger Kim said...

I love to travel and grew up in an airline family, so the actual flying doesn't bother me. Being on a plane for eight hours is another story. I do ok for about four or five hours, then I want OFF. It sounds like you're better at that part than I am.

My jet lag tip is sleep immediately, no matter what time it is where you arrive, even if it's just for an hour. It always gives me the energy to stay up until local bedtime so I can adjust.

It sounds like a wonderful trip.

 
At 9 November 2007 at 09:41, Blogger -Ann said...

Laurie - I've just added dried cherries to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip. Not sure how much blogging will get done. I am sure there will be all sorts of interesting familial altercations...I mean, interactions...but I probably won't be able to blog about them. :)

Kayce - I don't arrive in Cleveland until 6pm, so I really only have to stay up a few hours. (In my head, it will be 11pm and I have to check in for my flight around 5.30am, so it's going to be a Looooong day.) The westbound trip is never the problem - it's the eastbound that's a killer. I used to be in the tough-it-out until local bedtime camp. Now, I'm with you, but you have to make sure that you don't sleep for more than 2 hours. I'll have 3 days to recover before I go back to work, so sure, it'll be grand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home