Thursday, November 01, 2007

October Reads

My reading was quite spotty this month. I've been working on Sundays, so that's put a real dent in my Quality Reading Time. As a result, I've read mostly trash. At one point, it looked like I might only manage two books, but I eked out five. (Although probably only two of them are really worth reading. The rest are hospital waiting room/airplane/jury duty time-killing books.)

5. The Perfect Husband - Lisa Gardner - A woman hires a merceny to train her to defeat her evil serial killer ex-husband. Clumsy, transparent, and completely disappointing.

4. Cross - James Patterson - A phoned-in by-the-numbers thriller. Good for airplane or rainy day reading, not for much else.

3. The Mephisto Club - Tess Geritsen - A series of grisly murders have Dr. Isles and Detective Rizzoli seaching for the personification of evil. Procedural forensics detective novel meets supernatural thriller. Not quite as good a combination as chocolate and peanut butter, but passible entertainment nonetheless.

2. Echo Park -Michael Connelly - A cold case comes back to haunt Harry Bosch when a caught killer confesses to the case. My first foray into the Bosch series, which I found to be a pleasant surprise and I'm looking forward to reading more.

1. Into Thin Air - Jon Krakaur - Chronicles the events of the 1996 Everst climbing season, during which a number of people died. Compelling, well-written and well-worth a read.

4 Comments:

At 2 November 2007 at 19:29, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

Ooh goody, more for my list.

You should do Fun Monday if you get a chance. (Listen to me - I've done it once and am preaching the gospel!)
I like the idea of having a topic picked for me once a week!

 
At 4 November 2007 at 12:09, Blogger Terri said...

I recently read a book called "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield (you have to check out this website btw!) which is still kind of hovering in the back of my mind. It's the first book I've read easily for ages - good old can't-put-it-down and invades-your-dreams writing.

 
At 5 November 2007 at 01:47, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I enjoyed Cross, but I am growing a bit tired of Patterson. He is a bit too formulaic for my taste.

 
At 5 November 2007 at 07:50, Blogger -Ann said...

RC - Yes, I understand you've got some travel ahead of you - most of those books can fill time pretty nicely. And thanks for the encouragement. I am all Fun Monday'ed Up.

Terri - I've heard excerpts and author interviews about that book on Audible's podcast, but I was inexplicably intimidated by it. I think I'll give it a go.

Jack - I seriously think the man has either a computer program or a monkey that just slaps together the constituent parts of the story. But still, if I'm in an airport or the grocery store and there's nothing else...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home