Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sunday Afternoon Outing

One of my favourite movies when I was a kid was "Mary Poppins." The first time I saw it, I was 7 and my dad had taken us out to see it on Mother's Day to give my mother a break from us. On the way back home, we saw a For Sale sign that lead us to the house my parents bought and still own to this very day.

My favourite bit in "Mary Poppins" is when they go on the outing with the chimney sweep guy and all manner of fun ensues, like jumping into chalk drawing worlds or riding off on Merry-Go-Round horses. "Mary Poppins" set my standard for what outings should be about - fun, silliness, imagination, new experiences.

This Sunday, Peter and I took Toby for an outing on Barleycove Beach on the Mizen Penninsula. It's a great beach, especially on a storm-threatening, gale-force-winds Sunday afternoon. The beach is surrounded by sand dunes and to get to the beach, you have to cross over a pontoon bridge because the tides will separate the beach from the land.

We were nearly the only people there and of course, the other people had an off-leash dog who came over to start some trouble with Toby. They stayed to one area of the beach and we stayed to another, so we were eventually able to let Toby run free. He had great fun chasing his Kong bar and barking at me warningly when I went into the edge of the water. Peter took a few photos and everyone got a lot of enjoyment from the outing.

I wore my wellies, because everything is more fun when you wear wellies and it lets me wade into the water a little bit. Standing in the water, fully dressed, is something that amuses me much more than it should. I guess because I'm getting my feet wet but with no discomfort. At least until that first wave that misjudge, which ends up soaking me to my waist.

This always happens and you'd think I'd be wise to it by now, but you'd be wrong. I'm a very slow learner, especially where carefulness is involved. But that's okay, even spending half the outing in wet jeans did nothing to diminish our fun. Don't believe me? Check out the picture:

9 Comments:

At 6 March 2007 at 07:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get up early don't ya. I reckon ya make second place in the morning posters stakes ... after me ;)

Mar a deirtear: Tús maith, leath na hoibre.

 
At 6 March 2007 at 12:11, Blogger laurie said...

man, that sounds like a perfect day. dogs, wellies, strong winds, and water. and bright blue sky!

and i love dog pictures when they're clutching a favorite toy in their mouth. with our boscoe, it's usually a puffy fleece thing. must be the border collie in him--maybe he thinks it's a very small sheep.

go here for more dog stories, if you're interested. start with chapter one:

Three Dog Blog

 
At 7 March 2007 at 16:16, Blogger John of Dublin said...

Hi Ann, you seem to be settling in well to country life. Any luck with hockey team?

 
At 7 March 2007 at 20:34, Blogger -Ann said...

PS - :) I was actually up later than usual. Trying to give up caffiene is making waking up and getting moving very difficult.

Laurie - Sadly, Toby lost that toy about 45 minutes after the picture was taken. He dropped it on the pontoon bridge, on the way back to the car, but we didn't realise right away. By the time I noticed and went back over the bridge, the tide was in and the toy had been swept out to sea.

I'm enjoying your dog blog immensely although blogger wouldn't let me comment - the visual verification thing was just saying "visual verification" and not giving me any actual letters to type.

John - I am. I love it down here. And yes, I finally found a camogie team last weekend. Plan to post about it soon.

 
At 8 March 2007 at 00:55, Blogger laurie said...

stupid blog! (mine, not yours.) maybe ill take the word verification off for a while. if i don't get spam, i don't need it.

try again.....

and seriously, i can mail you a kong or two. they're not that expensive here. we gave a bunch of them to the pound where we got riley.

i look forward greatly to hearing about your pirogie team. i mean, camogie.

 
At 8 March 2007 at 21:49, Blogger -Ann said...

Laurie - That would be very sweet and I know Toby would enjoy them immensely. Send me an email (annbscanlan AT hotmail) and I'll send you my address. I'm going to insist that you let me send you something from the Middle of Nowhere, West Cork though. :)

 
At 9 March 2007 at 00:34, Blogger laurie said...

email sent.....

 
At 9 March 2007 at 02:48, Blogger teody said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10 March 2007 at 23:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the dog :-)h

 

Post a Comment

<< Home