Thursday, February 24, 2005

Eating an Elephant

It's an old joke and it's probably not even very funny, but it's a truism I keep in my head when I start to feel overwhelmed.

Q. How do you eat an elephant?
A. One bite at a time.

How do you run a marathon? One training run at a time, one step at a time, one second at a time - whatever unit of measurement works for you. I truly believe that anyone in reasonable shape can run a marathon. When I ran my first one, I was 50 pounds overweight. It took me nearly 7 hours, but I did it. Finding the time to do training runs and avoiding injuries are the two toughest tasks in marathon training. After you've tackled that, the actual race is a breeze.

How do you write a book? For me, it's actually two pages at a time. That's my production quota - two pages a day. Some people do more, some people do less. If I'm on a hot streak, I write through it. If I'm struggling, it helps knowing that I only have to fill up two pages and it doesn't have to be Shakespeare. If you're panning for gold, you have to sift through a lot of dirt before you find it. And when you're writing, you have to write a lot of crap to get to the good stuff.

When you're faced with an impossibly huge goal, picture eating an elephant. Break the goal into manageable bites, find some ketchup and get started.

4 Comments:

At 25 February 2005 at 14:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea but I'm a vegetarian. I guess I could substitute a tree... or maybe a soy elephant? Bocaphant?

- Shane

 
At 1 March 2005 at 01:53, Blogger Stacey said...

That's a great way to look at it. I am writing my thesis for my master's this summer and was wondering how in the world am I going to sit down and write 100 pages...I definately need to give myself a page-per-day minimum, two pages doesn't seem like much until you think you've said everything there possibliy is to say about the postmodern memoir ;)

 
At 9 May 2016 at 02:27, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada outlet, christian louboutin, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, gucci handbags, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, nike free run, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses wholesale, air max, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan pas cher, replica watches, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 
At 9 May 2016 at 02:37, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, hollister, replica watches, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg, moncler, swarovski, canada goose jackets, supra shoes, canada goose, moncler, canada goose, links of london, canada goose, toms shoes, barbour, juicy couture outlet, ugg uk, pandora charms, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, marc jacobs, montre pas cher, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, lancel, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, karen millen uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, wedding dresses, pandora uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home