Monday, August 25, 2008

Sage Advice

I was a little surprised when MB told me that he took The Kid to see The Dark Knight. It seemed a little dark and spooky to me, even before I watched it. MB told me that "unlike some adults I know, The Kid has a good grasp on what's real and what's pretend." (I think MB might have been talking about me, who had to leave the bathroom light on for a month after watching The Sixth Sense. I also had to leave the book Red Dragon in the car because I was convinced the character in it was so evil, the book would contaminate my house.)

After I saw The Dark Knight, I rang MB to tell him that The Kid was made of sterner stuff than I. The Joker gave me nightmares for three days and if Peter even pretends to lick his lips, I lose it. Part of me feels cheated that Heath Ledger's untimely and unfortunate demise means no more perfectly realised and downright terrifying Joker, but the other part of me is breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Today, I got snail mail from The Kid, a small envelope with an Obi Wan Kenobi stamp. Inside was a card with a cartoon of Batman on one side. On the other side, The Kid had given me this sage advice:

Dear Auntie Ann,
The Joker isn't real. You shouldn't be afraid of him. But if you're still scared, next time you see a Batman movie, close your eyes.
The Kid

The Kid is a fantastic dispenser of tips and advice. I think newspaper advice columnists around the world had better hold onto their seats, because if The Kid decides he wants their jobs, they are in trouble.

10 Comments:

At 25 August 2008 at 17:49, Blogger Sandy said...

That IS funny! My daughter was going to let my 8 year old grandson watch it and I talked her out of it. Maybe I should have just told the little guy to close his eyes.

Terrific picture!

 
At 25 August 2008 at 18:46, Blogger Babaloo said...

The Kid is brilliant!
I thought the Joker was fantastic and very scary. And The Sixth Sense made me very uneasy, too. So did the Hannibal Lecter books. I like the idea of scary movies but I can't watch them usually because I get scared so easily.

 
At 26 August 2008 at 00:58, Blogger Kim said...

He is absolutely adorable. Thanks for posting the pic of him! What a doll.

I love how practical and pragmatic he is. Where does he get that? (Not from Auntie Ann, I'd say.)

 
At 26 August 2008 at 02:10, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

Red Dragon is hands down the scariest thing I've ever read. Just the sound of the name makes me break out in a sweat. I dragged my dresser in front of my bedroom door for weeks after I read it - and I was in college.

I don't feel so good.

 
At 26 August 2008 at 03:16, Blogger Col said...

What a cutie! Adorable glasses.

I saw "Dark Knight" and enjoyed it, even though I thought it got a little ridiculous at the end.
However, I was shocked that one of the kids at Nate's daycare had seen it. I honestly can't imagine taking a kid to see it.

 
At 26 August 2008 at 11:45, Blogger laurie said...

that's so sweet. and how nice of him to send you a card with Batman on it, and not the Joker. licking his lips....

 
At 26 August 2008 at 17:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before anyone calls Children's Services on me, (I'm Middle Brother, the The Kid's father) he didn't get scared and didn't have nightmares after watching The Dark Knight. He took it for what it was: a fictional story.

Kaycie - I often read The Kid a book called, "The Young Skeptics Guide." He loves it and seems to be a big fan of reductionism.

- MB

 
At 26 August 2008 at 17:18, Blogger -Ann said...

Sandy - I think it all depends on the person. You could make the argument that I shouldn't watch scary films.

Babaloo - Me too. I love scary movies but I just can't handle them.

Kaycie - He's a great kid and is so much fun. I really miss him.

RC - Sorry to bring back bad memories. I can't spend too much time thinking about that book either or I get freaked out all over again.

Col - Thanks. I think there's nothing cuter than a little kid with glasses, especially now that glasses have gotten a lot more stylish than when we were kids.

MB - I don't even know what reductionism is. Once again, I fear that soon, The Kid is going to be bigger, faster, stronger, AND smarter than I am.

 
At 29 August 2008 at 21:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cuz went to see TDK recently and was hugely amused to hear a father attempting to discuss the film with his ten year old son afterwards. The da was clearly worried that he'd traumatised the child so he tried to have the following conversation with him:

Worried Da: So... you didn't feel it was a little macabre, did you?

10 year old: *confused* What?

WD (tries again): Did it make you feel morbid?

10 YO: Huh?

WD: So...you do still believe in the concept of good, right?

BWAHAHAHA!

 
At 30 August 2008 at 17:51, Blogger -Ann said...

Harlequin - That's a great story - totally illustrates how we project our own anxieties and issues onto kids. (or, in my case, I project them onto Toby :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home