Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Little Tip Factory

I had a bonus surprise today when my parents rang for the weekly call. The Kid was at their house and he was willing to talk on the phone.

Today is a big day for The Kid - he's going to play in his first soccer game. Coincidentally, today was my second Gaelic football match. (I didn't play at all in the first one and I was a bit nervous about having to play today. I really am a disaster at it right now.) I thought The Kid might be able to offer me some advice.

Me: So, Kid, do you have any tips for me today for my game?

The Kid: Yeah! Just run really fast and get to the ball first. That's what you do in football and that's what I do in soccer. Run fast!

Me: That's a good tip. But you know what happens when I run really fast, I get out of breath.

The Kid: Don't worry. That happens to me too. This is what I do. I touch my knees and wait. Then, when I'm powered up, I can run really fast again.

Me: OK, I'm going to have to try that. Although, you know, it's easier for you. You're all young and agile.

The Kid: Yeah!

Me: It's harder for me because I'm old and slow.

The Kid: Yeah!

Me: But I think what you've told me will really help me out. Thanks a lot.

The Kid: I'm full of great tips!

When I recounted this conversation to Peter, he smiled and pointed out that I love asking The Kid for advice. I enjoy watching how his little mind works and seeing what he comes up with. Plus, kids get tired of boring grown-ups and all the questions they always ask. How's school? Do you have any friends? What do you want to be when you grow up?

I'll have to send The Kid an email and tell him that I got to try out his tips for three whole minutes at the end of our match today. (We were losing so badly, the coach asked me if I wanted to go in and I figured it was a good place to start, absolutely no pressure.) I did run fast, but I didn't get to the ball first. The Power-Up seemed to work, but I think only more gym time and sprinting is really going to help.

7 Comments:

At 27 April 2008 at 02:54, Blogger Kim said...

That kid is adorable. I love the answers he comes up with when you ask him questions.

 
At 27 April 2008 at 03:38, Blogger Career Guy said...

After witnessing The Kid in action today, I can safely say that running fast is not in his repetoire. Resting, yes. Running, no.

 
At 28 April 2008 at 08:58, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Congrats on your game time. It's nice that you make the kid feel important, that he has something of value to tell you.

 
At 28 April 2008 at 10:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww his advice was pure gold :-)

 
At 28 April 2008 at 16:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kid said that his favorite part of the game was when he was not playing in the game. And was instead dividing his time sitting in the laps of his parents.

He'd be thrilled to hear about the outcome of his great tips.

Hope you keep up the training and power-ups and get faster and stronger.

- Shane

 
At 29 April 2008 at 14:24, Blogger -Ann said...

Kaycie - He is super adorable. I miss him so much.

Dad - He is his father's son. :)

WUASTC - Thanks. It's always a race against time when talking to The Kid on the phone.

Conortje - It sure was. If only it worked quicker.

Shane - The Kid certainly has his priorities right.

 
At 29 April 2008 at 15:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann quipped: "Dad - He is his father's son. :)"

OH? Is that so. Well, I couldn't be happier because I hate ball sports too. :P

- Shane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home