Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Today's Special: Random

I have a few posts I'm working on in my head, but I'm coming up on a deadline at work so when I get home, I'm a bit brain-dead. In the meantime, here's some random thoughts and observations from the last few weeks:

  • I felt like the Human Barometer today. My (formerly) broken arm began howling in pain, right along the fault line of the healed fracture. Five minutes later, it was bucketing rain outside. It's not the first time that's happened since we moved to the Middle of Nowhere.

  • Listening to the news yesterday, I heard something that was nearly unthinkable:
    "The fire at the pygmy processing facility broke out in the early hours of the morning."
    What are they doing with those poor little pygmies and why? Surely that sort of behaviour went out of fashion at least 70 years ago?
    Turns out, it was a PIG MEAT processing facility.

  • Watching a holiday cyclist battle his way up a hill in the pouring rain with fully loaded pannier bags, I told Peter "No part of that looks remotely like fun to me. How could you spend your holiday doing that? That's not a holiday- that's hard work." Peter's reply: "That's why most of the cyclists are German."

  • Cattle make the most alarming horror-movie-heavy-breathing sounds I've ever heard. We listened to this while we were meteor-watching Sunday night. Dark Night + Herd of Angus = Disembodied Horror Noises. I told Peter that if I didn't the field was full of cattle, I'd be somewhat alarmed. "Somewhat alarmed?" he said, "I wouldn't be waiting around to find out what was making the noises. I'd be a lot more than somewhat alarmed."

  • Toby is a great fan of the cattle. He likes to sniff them through the fence and prance along the fence line with his Kong in his mouth. If you want to know where Toby is, you just have to see where the cattle are looking. They are puzzled by and curious about Toby. They're also much more comfortable with him than with people.

  • I'm re-reading all of the Harry Potter books (half-way through Book 5) and I've been harrassing Peter with questions he finds very annoying.
    "What would be your favourite class? I think I'd like Potions, but not if Snape taught it. Maybe Transfiguration or Charms. I don't know."
    "Which house would you be in? It's OK, you can say Griffyndor - it doesn't make you a cliche if it's true to your personality. I'm a total Hufflepuff."
    "What would your patronus be? I think mine would be a hedgehog. Well, you always say I'm a hedgehog. Or maybe a terrier. You also say I'm a terrier, even though they're not my favourite dogs."

  • I'm responsible for making dinner for Peter's workshop students. It's a job I actually enjoy and I try to find recipes that I can make the night before, or the morning of the workshop, and then just warm (or finish cooking) when it's dinner time. We're getting a bit burnt out on lasagne and shepherd's pie. Anyone have a good stew or casserole recipe?

5 Comments:

At 14 August 2007 at 20:30, Blogger laurie said...

i have a great irish stew recipe (even though it's beef and not lamb). and won't your students be expecting irish food anyway?

i make it in the crock pot and it cooks all day, 8 or 9 or 10 hours. and then just thicken the broth with flour before serving.

it's just chunks of potato, beef, carrot, and onion simmered in a bottle of guinness and a can or two of beef broth. you can also toss in celery or leeks, if you like.

spices: parsley, salt, garlic, bay leaves, black pepper, paprika, ground cloves, lemon juice, worcestshire sauce.

add frozen peas a few minutes before serving.

serve with soda bread.

 
At 14 August 2007 at 23:49, Blogger Sweary said...

I want to start a pygmy liberation front.

WHO'S WITH ME????!!!

 
At 15 August 2007 at 11:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too late, Sweary. They're all fried at this stage.

Em, eh, maybe the workshop students would eat them.

 
At 15 August 2007 at 21:30, Blogger Terri said...

Pygmies, lol!
You have me laughing out loud here during a Very Serious Moment in a movie that Hubby is watching. He's not so amused.

Can't help on the recipe front, I'm afraid. Lasagne is my standard 'guest' dish. Everything else comes out of a bottle. Sauces, I mean, not beer and stuff.
Spaghetti bolognaise?

 
At 22 August 2007 at 07:33, Blogger -Ann said...

Laurie - thanks - I will have to try that out. Does it have to be done in a slow cooker? I don't have one.

SL - I'm with you. I must have solidarity with other shorties.

PM - I heard they taste just like chicken.

Terri - Spag bol would be good on the days I'm around. Sometimes, I have to go to camogie or work late and Peter just needs something he can shove the oven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home