Monday, April 30, 2007

Bad Blogger, Better Novelist?

Yes, I've been a bad blogger. There's been the usual amount of busy - work, Toby, camogie, running. Then there's a new form a busy that's about to take over Peter's life and have some impact on mine. (http://www.petercox.ie/short_workshops.php). But it's not that I haven't had time to write. It's that the time I've had for writing has gone towards my books.

As I've mentioned before, I've been taking the occasional day-long writing workshop up in Dublin. They're great fun and really put the boot up my arse to get me focused again on my novels. I have, at this moment, 2 completed novels in need of rewriting to improve the structure of the stories, and 2 half-completed novels in need of the rest of their middles and all of their ends. I've made a decision that the noveling has to take precedence over the blogging, at least in the short term.

My goal is to finish rewriting my first novel (Flying Close to the Ground, which details one determined young woman’s attempt to fulfill her dreams of becoming a jockey without destroying herself) and finish writing one of my chick lit books (Being Katie, which isn't far enough along to have a blurb) by my birthday. Which is in 3 months.

I know, it's a bit of an optimistic goal, perhaps overly so. But I'm a big believer in making no small plans. I'll still be stopping in on a semi-regular basis. (I know, I owe myself 2 more driving/automotive posts.) And who knows - if I come up with something half-decent in the novel, I might post a bit here.

6 Comments:

At 1 May 2007 at 09:01, Blogger Fence said...

Good luck with the books, don't forget to let us know when they are finished and published so we can pimp them to all our friends :)

 
At 1 May 2007 at 11:24, Blogger laurie said...

i love the title, "flying close to the ground." good luck! you sure have a lot of drive. i find i blog even when i've sworn i'm going to do something more productive.

 
At 1 May 2007 at 20:48, Blogger Terri said...

Your absence from Blogland is forgiven ;) Good luck with the novelling!

 
At 2 May 2007 at 06:34, Blogger -Ann said...

Fence - I am counting on that. :)

Laurie - I think I'm going to use blogging as a reward, since I do enjoy it. I hate the rewriting part of book writings, so maybe being able to blog will give me incentive to sit down and rewrite the scenes.

Terri - Thanks, both for the encouragement and the absolution.

 
At 2 May 2007 at 06:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to Flying Close to the Ground.

Horse racing is my passion. It's right up there with ... actually nothing else comes close. But then, being a Kildare man, what would you expect.

 
At 4 May 2007 at 00:59, Blogger laurie said...

GOLDARNIT. i hate this! quit writing your novel and get back to entertaining us!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home