Friday, May 01, 2009

A Poem of My Own

Hope you enjoyed Poetry Month. I have to confess that it was nice to know my blog had a post every day, with minimal effort from me. It was sort of like having a self-cleaning house or a self-driving car or something. (I'm telling you, they ever make a robot who can drive a car so the passenger can laze around with a laptop, reading blogs and such, I will so be there.)

But now it's back to reality. I think I might be coming out of hibernation, but the new job means a total daily commute of 80 miles/2+ hours, so I doubt my posting will be anywhere near daily.

The time in the car is interesting. I'm trying to look at it as an asset - a time to think or sing along with my IPod or just appreciate the truly beautiful place where I am lucky enough to live. I like the thinking time and find it helpful for my writing (although it means I have to remember the words that are trying to jump out of my brain when I hit a good thought).

This week, the time helped me write a poem. Shocking, I know. In fact, I considered declaring May to be Bad Poetry Month and I'd write one every day. But really, I'm not any kind of a poet. (I'm not a dancer either.) Enough waffling. Here is my poem.

The Blank Page


Gatsby believed in the green light
A future that recedes into the past
A current forever pulling us backwards
A life of unfulfilled wistfulness

Not me.

I believe in the blank page
A future that stretches to the horizon
A line that marches us forward
A life of limitless possibilities

Above all, I believe this:

Respect the blank page
Do not fill it with history
Or burden it with hesitancy
Or tie it down with conditions

Write boldly, quickly,
With a sense of purpose
Don't think
Just open your eyes and dream

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 1 May 2009 at 12:55, Blogger laurie said...

lovely. great last line.

re the car trip: books on CD?

 
At 1 May 2009 at 14:02, Blogger Kim said...

I think it's quite wonderful.

You need one of those little recorders to talk into and save you from having to remember all those words!

 
At 1 May 2009 at 14:28, Blogger Irene said...

Very well done, Ann! You are a true poet.

 
At 2 May 2009 at 15:20, Anonymous Felix said...

Excellent

 
At 5 May 2009 at 12:07, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Well, I like your poem. I've tagged you so come on over.

 
At 10 May 2009 at 02:32, Blogger Career Guy said...

Kaycie beat me to it. Even my palm pilot records--Birthday present hint to Peter: digital recorder.

Sweet poem, btw.

 
At 27 August 2009 at 09:53, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this great fountain with us.I so enjoyed my visit to your blog.good thougts..thanks for sharing...
Samantha
Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems

 
At 30 July 2018 at 01:55, Blogger jeje said...

De nombreux vêtements sont accessibles nike air max pas cher belgique à des coûts assez réguliers et réduits, tandis que certains sont vendus à des taux plus élevés. Si le sujet est centré sur les zombies, les vampires, ou tout simplement le monde souterrain, vous devez permettre à votre entreprise toutes les air jordan de leur permettre de découvrir les costumes idéaux à utiliser pour profiter de votre nuit de terrifiante excitante. Les espadrilles vertes Nike Dunk Nylon pour hommes, et enfin les lettres Air Jordan 8 Homme bleu blanc rouge High Pro SB pour hommes Nike dunk. Cowboys a noté qu'il a gardé le soleil de vos yeux et de votre cou. Vous nike air jordan pas cher bebe devez penser à assez de temps de votre année, vous pourriez être marié, ou lorsque vous achetez une cérémonie de mariage en plein air. Ceux-ci peuvent aller jusqu'à plus de quarante pour chaque cent dans la valeur nike air max 1 essential france initiale restant minimiser.

 
At 19 April 2021 at 21:36, Blogger ahmed deraz said...

خدمات دبى – بيت العز
شركة مكافحة حشرات فى دبى
شركة تنظيف ستائر فى دبى




 
At 1 October 2021 at 05:48, Anonymous vendosmart said...

Custom Manufacturing Marketplace | Vendosmart
"Vendosmart is an online custom manufacturing
marketplace to connect buyers with potential manufacturers. Rasie RFQ and get the best quality products delivered. Request Quote Today"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home