Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recharging

I love taking personality tests and quizzes. I think it's a girl thing. Open any magazine aimed at women or girls and you're bound to find a quiz. I'm not sure I can put into words the allure of a quiz, but the compulsion to complete them is undeniable.

One of my favourites is the Myers-Briggs, sort of the gold standard in the industry. As I've gotten older, I've noticed that my type has changed and can also vary depending on my mood. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe I've gotten wishy-washy and indecisive in my old age. Or perhaps I'm gaining wisdom and the ability to see shades of grey and adapt to circumstances. Wisdom is one of the few bonuses of aging, after all. (Well, that and the oft-cited ability to eat ice cream for dinner if you so choose.)

My most consistent personality trait, no matter which test I take, is introversion. This used to trouble me, since Western culture values extroversion and I was mistaking introversion with shyness. Make no mistake, I'm also shy although I can manage social anxiety better than I used to. But introversion has nothing to do with social anxiety or poor social skills. It's all about where you draw your energy.

Extroverts draw their energy from other people. Introverts draw their energy from within themselves. An extrovert would find monastic life as difficult to bear as an introvert would find being a celebutant. Introverts find interacting with people tiring and need time alone to recharge their batteries.

I've been going through a tough time lately and I recognize my introversion coming into play. I guess I'm kind of like a turtle in that during times of trouble, I pull inward. It's not denial or avoidance exactly. I've assessed all of my options and gathered the information I need to make decisions. The next few plays are mapped out in my head and I'm ready for whatever happens next. But I have drawn into my shell, most notably in both blogging and commenting on others' blogs. It's not that I don't enjoy blogging, it's just that I don't have the energy for it.

So it might be a little quiet here for the next while. And I probably won't be commenting much, which is regrettable, but a necessary step. When the clouds lift, I'll be back. And I'll be better for having the time off.

10 Comments:

At 15 March 2009 at 19:01, Blogger Irene said...

I understand completely, being a sort of introvert myself and being a turtle also who needs to pull her head back into her shell. Take as much time as you need, we'll be waiting patiently.

 
At 15 March 2009 at 19:21, Blogger Babaloo said...

The turtle is a nice picture. I can totally relate.

Recharge away! :)

(Oh, will you still be there to play Scramble and WordTwist?)

 
At 15 March 2009 at 20:36, Blogger laurie said...

i'm an introvert, too. good luck.

 
At 16 March 2009 at 12:52, Blogger Kim said...

Another introvert here. I totally understand.

 
At 18 March 2009 at 10:59, Blogger Sweary said...

Good on ya, girl. Recharging is a noble and essential task... I should know.

Or to translate it to ruralese, "It'll be grand, sure!"

 
At 20 March 2009 at 02:46, Blogger ped crossing said...

Take all the "me" time you need, I totally get it. I go a little nuts without it.

 
At 22 March 2009 at 02:14, Blogger Career Guy said...

"Celebutant"? Is that even a word? Oh.Wait. One of the benefits of aging is that you get to make up your own language. :-)

 
At 22 March 2009 at 22:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must know I will miss your writings. I somehow feel you are closer when I'm able to glimpse your take on your world and ours. Recharging is important. Clam up for awhile....Regroup.... Peace and Love AL

 
At 31 March 2009 at 17:18, Blogger -Ann said...

Thanks for all the good wishes! I'm enjoying my quiet time and have been visiting blogs, although not commenting much.

 
At 1 April 2009 at 07:22, Blogger BT said...

It looks as though I picked the right time to 'find' your blog after your gloom as you've posted today, 1st April (or was it an April Fool)? I am an extrovert but suffer from depression and then I don't want to see or speak to anyone. An odd mix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home