Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What I Did on my Family Vacation

The last two weeks of this past May, my parents and two aunts (my mother's sisters) came to the Middle of Nowhere to visit. It was my parents' second trip to Ireland, but their first to Rural Ireland (TM) while my aunts had never been to Ireland.

Since My dad recently started to recount the visit in a travelogue, I'm writing a series of posts that focus more on the themes and motifs of the trip. (Fancy, no?)

But first, an overview. In the 12 days that my family visited, we traveled about 1,200 miles, nearly exclusively within the counties of Cork, Kerry, and Clare. (We did have to travel through Limerick to get home from Shannon, but I think that was the only time we were not within the aforementioned three counties.) To give you an idea of how far this is - if we were sea kayakers, 1200 miles is the distance it takes to circumnavigate Ireland. If my parents had gotten in their car in Cleveland, they could have driven to Miami.

In our 1,200 miles of traveling in rural Ireland, we visited the following:

Gougane Barra








Mizen Head











The Beehive Huts on the Dingle Peninsula











Slea Head







The Ring of Kerry





The Gap of Dunloe







The Cliffs of Moher









Poulnabrone Dolmen







Skellig Michael









Stay tuned for more posts on our terrific adventures. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll feel like you're trapped in the backseat of a 1996 Peugeot.

7 Comments:

At 11 June 2008 at 07:48, Blogger Babaloo said...

Great photos. Your last sentence made me laugh. :-D
Had been meaning to go visit your Dad's blog to see what he has to say about the trip. Thanks for reminding me!

 
At 11 June 2008 at 07:49, Blogger Babaloo said...

Oh, P.S.: The link to your Dad's has a double "http" in it, it's not working as it is.

 
At 11 June 2008 at 15:57, Blogger Noelle said...

So beautiful! Can't wait to hear more!

 
At 11 June 2008 at 20:35, Blogger -Ann said...

Babaloo - I think a lot of my stories are going to revolve around the car - you will feel like you're trapped in the back seat. And thanks for pointing out the broken link.

Noelle - Thanks - hope you enjoy the stories.

 
At 11 June 2008 at 20:59, Blogger Kim said...

Great pictures! I'm looking forward to the rest of the stories.

 
At 14 June 2008 at 03:18, Blogger Career Guy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 14 June 2008 at 03:23, Blogger Career Guy said...

Hey wait a minute--I was trapped in the back of 1996 Peugeot!

That photo of me captures my Skellig Michael experience precisely. Your husband is a genius! I gotta have that photo! I can hardly wait to show your mother. She.will.freak.out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home