Friday, June 24, 2005

Stuffing Envelopes

Last week, I applied for a job that I really want. It looks like it would be a challenging and fulfilling position writing marketing-ish Web copy for the research department of University College Dublin. As far as workplaces go, it just can't get much cooler or much more geographically desirable than UCD. Plus, since it's where Peter and I spent a bit of time during the early months of our relationship, the campus has a special place in my heart.

Since it's a university, the application process is very structured and completely anachronistic. They want you to go to a Web site, download a PDF form, fill out the form, and print out six copies. But that's not all. They also want six copies of your CV and a cover letter outlining how you meet the job description's criteria. Then you have to get your application packet into their personnel office by a certain date and time.

When I slid the 36 pages of application material into a big brown envelope, I couldn't help feeling that I was filling the envelope with all my hopes and dreams. It's funny that so much could ride on a stack of black and white papers. I knew that my brown envelope was going to join other brown enevelopes, similiarly filled. I hoped that something about my cover letter and my CV would jump out and put me on the short list.

Yesterday, I had a similar, but even more intense feeling, when I put together a submission package for a leading Irish book publisher. This company has a reputation for finding new authors and taking chances on them. It's how one of my favourite authors (Marian Keyes) got her start. Witty cover letter, tongue-in-cheek bio, earnest writing-oriented CV, the weakest-link synopsis (oh how I hate to write synopses), 50 pages of my first novel and several years' worth of dreams and ambition were stuffed into the big A4 envelope.

When the publisher (or, more likely, her unpaid work-experience intern) opens the envelope, what will she see? Just 60 sheets of paper with black 10 pt Arial type, most of it double-spaced. She won't see the 4am writing sessions, the all-day revision sessions, the tortured synopsis writing sessions. She might guess at my eagerness, but then, that's practically a hallmark of unpublished authors.

But, what I hope she sees, on those 50 pages, are people she recognizes, sympathises with and would like to get to know better. I hope she sees a little bit of herself as a teenager, a little bit of her daughter/neice/neighbor. If I'm successful in that, then even if she passes on the book, then I've still accomplished something worthwhile. My book will live another day, waiting for yet another brown envelope.

7 Comments:

At 25 June 2005 at 05:35, Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Ann. Good luck with job prospect as well as your book.

 
At 26 June 2005 at 02:07, Blogger Career Guy said...

Yup--I remember that feeling that more than papers were going into those envelopes. It's like saying,"Here I am--gotta love me!"

 
At 26 June 2005 at 08:47, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Persistence, determination and tenacity are the three key things a writer needs. At least that is what a guy waiting in line for Ray Bradbury's signature once told me.

Good luck.

 
At 15 July 2005 at 20:30, Blogger Lyss said...

Good luck with the hunt!

 
At 2 January 2010 at 21:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 3 February 2010 at 08:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real money.
It's all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 
At 9 May 2016 at 02:29, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada outlet, christian louboutin, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, gucci handbags, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, nike free run, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses wholesale, air max, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan pas cher, replica watches, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home